• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 MIAMIRD

MIAMIRD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

It's over..... USA announced a couple of days ago they are canceling "The Starter Wife"...... ratings of 2.4 million were just too low. Entertainment Weekly magazine got the exclusive which went as follows:

---------
USA Network has filed for divorce from The Starter Wife, citing irreconcilable ratings. When the Debra Messing-fronted Wife debuted in 2007 as a six-hour miniseries, it attracted more than 5 million viewers and went on to earn 10 Emmy nominations. However, ratings for its 10-episode first season averaged just 2.4 million viewers -- a decent number by most cable standards, but not for USA, where its top shows (Burn Notice, Monk) regularly pull in around 6 million.

In an exclusive statement, USA called Starter Wife a "critical and creative success," and added that the Dec. 12 season finale served as a "satisfying conclusion" to the franchise.

Do you agree? Did Wife's climax satisfy you? Are you grateful you got those 10 bonus episodes, or should it have just remained a miniseries? And, putting your agent cap on for a moment, what do you think Messing should do next? Sound off in the comments section!

--------
That is referring to the comments section on the Entertainment Weekly website at http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html ------- There are fans there telling people to go to the website for the Lifetime cable channel and tell them to pick up "The Starter Wife" for Lifetime. So if you love the show and want it to reappear on another network, read the comments at the link (http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html) for Entertainment Weekly for guidance.

#42 MIAMIRD

MIAMIRD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

It's over..... USA announced a couple of days ago they are canceling "The Starter Wife"...... ratings of 2.4 million were just too low. Entertainment Weekly magazine got the exclusive which went as follows:

---------
USA Network has filed for divorce from The Starter Wife, citing irreconcilable ratings. When the Debra Messing-fronted Wife debuted in 2007 as a six-hour miniseries, it attracted more than 5 million viewers and went on to earn 10 Emmy nominations. However, ratings for its 10-episode first season averaged just 2.4 million viewers -- a decent number by most cable standards, but not for USA, where its top shows (Burn Notice, Monk) regularly pull in around 6 million.

In an exclusive statement, USA called Starter Wife a "critical and creative success," and added that the Dec. 12 season finale served as a "satisfying conclusion" to the franchise.

Do you agree? Did Wife's climax satisfy you? Are you grateful you got those 10 bonus episodes, or should it have just remained a miniseries? And, putting your agent cap on for a moment, what do you think Messing should do next? Sound off in the comments section!

--------
That is referring to the comments section on the Entertainment Weekly website at http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html ------- There are fans there telling people to go to the website for the Lifetime cable channel and tell them to pick up "The Starter Wife" for Lifetime. So if you love the show and want it to reappear on another network, read the comments at the link (http://ausiellofiles...sive-usa-c.html) for Entertainment Weekly for guidance.

g

#43 Susanam

Susanam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

http://community.myl...ck-starter-wife

PLEASE HELP ME by voting on LIFETIME for them to pick up this show!

#44 doxie4

doxie4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

I was very sorry when I heard that Starter Wife was cancelled! I couldn't believe that there was some idiot in USA's head office dumb enough to do that!

Didn't have enough viewers?? Well, how many do you have watching CONSTANT reruns of Law & Order:CI?? That program absolutely
sickens me! The only time it was half decent was when Chris Noth was on. The other slob is sickening!

Now USA us showing CONSTANT re-euns of Law & Order:SVU! I used to like this show, but I hate getting it crammed down my throat!
The same with House, NCIS, In Plain Sight, Burn Notice & now Royal Pains. Good God, the only original shows that had any story lines,
they cancel! Go Figure!

Yes, I will start writing to Lifetime----I would very much like to see new episodes of the Starter Wife, at least it was something new and original!

USA, you think you're great---well, I think you stink!

#45 Shazzam

Shazzam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

The show might have been good if Debra Messing hadn't stared in it. She's a really really bad actress.

Debra Messing didn't "stare" at anything. She starred in the show. Learn English before you start criticizing smart guy.

#46 JessBird

JessBird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

I'm sure it won't make any difference, but I went through all the trouble of creating an account to add my two coppers anyway.

USA.... stupid move.

Starter Wife was the only show on your network that I ever really took interest in. Both my boyfriend and I loved the show and were so looking forward to watching it again. I had been searching to find the new premiere only to find this sad news. I had even been trying to help my Mom catch up on the show, sure that it was going to begin again soon. What a huge disappointment.

Debra Messing and the rest of the cast were phenomenal! The story was quirky and suspenseful. What exactly was the problem here?

And to top it off, it's been replaced by ANOTHER doctor show. Original USA, really. There are already about 9 or so other doctor shows. You don't need to jump on the bandwagon. How about you give it a chance to gain viewership and give it a decent time slot? Ever think of that?

I fear this will be the fate of all good and original shows on networks nowadays. Just because a show doesn't get HUGE ratings in the first season, they axe it. So many good shows have died that way. That's why the big shows survive, not because they are that good, but because anything that is more of a niche storyline gets killed because it caters to a smaller audience. When the good shows get cancelled we're all forced to watch the same old bullcrap. I find it really hard to invest myself in TV anymore. I'd rather watch my Friends DvD's over and over. At least I know the rug won't get pulled out from under me as soon as I get invested in a show or it's characters.

Goodbye USA, I won't be back.

#47 norcal2009

norcal2009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Come on, USA!!! I loved that show - its not too late to make it up to us. Bring it back!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I love the show and if another network picks it up, I am there. Of course this means we won't be watching USA when its on...

#48 repketchem

repketchem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

USA,

Please bring back The Starter Wife. It was funny, witty, entertaining, mysterious, and engrossing, all at the same time. All networks do this to great shows because of ratings. Do NOT count the ratings because now a lot of people have DVRs so those who can't see it record it. Friday at 9 was a great timeslot, but I think that it would have done better on Monday at 9. (You fail to see that Friday is typically date night, or that Friday is the end of the work week. A lot of people I know who love this show record it because they are so tired from working all week that they want to go to bed early.) On Monday's people are typically not as tired as they would be on Friday.

I personally love Monk, Psych, Burn Notice, NCIS, and SVU, but Monk is predictable and obvious to me, whereas Psych is quite the opposite. Burn Notice is the bomb (made with Fiona's C4 :lol: ). NCIS is perfect, but, after seeing every episode about twenty times, it makes me go to sleep. SVU always has a special place in my heart, and even after seeing every episode about a million times I will still watch it.

On to CI. the old episodes (before season 5) were great, and I could personally watch every episode with Nicole Wallace (Olivia d'Abo) all day every day, but after season 5 it got boring. Season 7 was my last season, season 8 was too confusing and slow. (And to tell you the truth killing off Nicole Wallace was a HUGE mistake.)

Now, Royal Pains is a great show, but it is soooo slow. The only reason I watch it is because I want to see what happens to the characters. (Which incidentally is pretty much what The Starter Wife was about.)

House. It is an interesting show, but like Royal Pains it is really, really slow. Unlike RP, the characters are merely a side plot. I personally couldn't care less what happens to the characters. It makes me feel like God (which is kind of off-putting) kind of, looking at House and the other characters sort out their problems. I still love the show, but it bores me. It makes me want to play a game or read a book with it on as background noise.

Now for the final show: In Plain Sight. Do NOT change anything with IPS. It is perfect just the way it is. I understand that you got (a) new writer(s), but, please, do not change the general flow of In Plain Sight.

USA Network is my favorite network to watch, but it would be great to have one of my favorite shows back on air. Please, USA Network, I beg of you to bring back The Starter Wife. It was one of the best shows there is on tv. Please.

#49 JodiA

JodiA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

I have been waiting for this show to come back on........ I finally decided to do a search and see why it hasn't come back on only to find out it was canceled. Unbelievable!! I thought the last episode was crappy but still...... My mom and my husband have asked me about it several times. It was a great show! Maybe Showtime or HBO can pick it up and make it a little spicier!

#50 justwingingit

justwingingit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hi, I just joined the forum. I run my own business dealing with exotic birds. My favorite break during the summer was to watch the Starter Wife and I was wondering last summer when it was going to be on. I am shocked that they canceled it. I guess murder and mayhem are more entertaining than a funny, cute program.

#51 wangmichelle

wangmichelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:24 AM

oh, no it's so sad,Posted Image :blink: B) `````
Not everybody can be famous. But everybody can be great

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved