• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 cargar101

cargar101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

This has been bothering for the longest time. I became a major fan of psych during the very end of the first season... and then season 2 began, and I started to notice that James Roday looked different. I couldn't really pin exactly what it was until it started becoming more of a dramatic change. I thought for sure other people would have noticed the differences between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seasons, but I scoped the entire forum looking for a topic similar to the one I'm posting now, and there weren't any.
I know his hair has gotten bigger in size, lol, and he occasionally has some facial hair, but the thing I notice the most is that he is bulkier. In the first season, he seemed more lanky. It's like he bulked up for the show or something. I know everyone is probably thinking. "so... what wrong with more muscle?" But I honestly think that the way he looked during the first season, suited his character the best. I'm not trying to dis James Roday or anything... I just think he looked way cuter in the first season :P
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just crazy?? (oh, and ignore the other one I posted with practically the same title. I didn't mean to post it and I don't know how to delete it... can I delete it? I'm new...)
Season 1
Posted Image
Posted Image
Season 2 & 3
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by cargar101, 02 January 2009 - 12:36 AM.

#2 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

I think the character's wardrobe was changed between the first and subsequent seasons. In season 1 he wore more vertical stripes and dark colors. In seasons 2 & 3 he wears lighter colors and more (gag) plaid. Perhaps the thought was to differentiate his style (casual) from Gus (more conservative). In season 1 it seemed sometimes like they shared a closet. The bulkier look might result from that although I think he may have gained a few pounds, which would be right for the character. In season 1 he was coming off being marginally employed. Less money, less food. He looked a little fragile to me.

He may look less attractive because of the wardrobe change. I try to ignore his clothes. It's difficult though. The orange/red? western-wear monstrosity he wore in "Shawn (and Gus) of the Dead" that unfortunately was carried over to "Ghosts" was so heinous I wanted to see it set aflame on his person. Plaid should only be worn by schoolgirls, Scottish men in kilts, ladies in Christmas attire and lumberjacks. The phrase, "That guy wearing the plaid shirt looks hot" has never been uttered, unless dripping with sarcasm or in Seattle circa 1989.

#3 cargar101

cargar101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Plaid should only be worn by schoolgirls, Scottish men in kilts, ladies in Christmas attire and lumberjacks.

Really? I actually like the plaid... haha. That could just be me, though.

#4 MarthanotGeorge

MarthanotGeorge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

I will admit a possible bias based on 12 years of Catholic school and an ill-timed (second trimester) but wholly appropriate Christmas-themed bridesmaid dress. Pregnancy and plaid do not mix. In either case, really.

#5 psychfan93

psychfan93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Really? I actually like the plaid... haha. That could just be me, though.

nope, me too :)
Official Apprentice to the High Priestess of the Pineapple of CMP^2

#6 cargar101

cargar101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

Ah-ha! Lol. I have noticed a difference in his wardrobe, though. That's probably part of it... (sighs) I'm just stuck on his old looks, I suppose.

#7 I_Know

I_Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

I like the plaid! And I agree about him looking different, he totally does!
Official Multi-Faceted FAN-atic of the CMP2
Posted Image
Posted Image
James: "I have the best girlfriend in the entire world. She's made out of sunshine."

Johnny Dare: "He swept you off your feet and you couldn't wait to bed him. He said you were simply powerless against his sexual prowess."
Maggie: "Alright, well he's absolutely right."

Magster: "I'm Irish." *wink* "And lucky."

Juliet: "I said you're prophetic."
Shawn: "You're prophetic!"

Maggie: "That's my boyfriend"

Steve: "I love it when Juliet yells at people."
Maggie: "Me too! It's really fun!"

Tim: "Maggie Lawson, I can get her to laugh. But normally Maggie just laughs at me laughing.

#8 bethgreen

bethgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Yes, James looks different. His weight gain is showing.

I have a theory as to the reason for it. He's in love!

Posted Image

To provide further evidence, here's some info from USNews.com:

"There's a reason why the last season of The Biggest Loser included couples; when two people meet and fall in love, they often change their eating and exercise habits, and not always for the better . . . One study presented last fall at the annual meeting of the Obesity Society found that young women who were dating gained an average of 15 pounds over five years, those women who were cohabiting but not married gained 18 pounds, and the newly married gained 24 pounds. The men saw a similar upward trend."

#9 I_Know

I_Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

Wow! That's interesting! I never knew that!
Posted Image
Posted Image
James: "I have the best girlfriend in the entire world. She's made out of sunshine."

Johnny Dare: "He swept you off your feet and you couldn't wait to bed him. He said you were simply powerless against his sexual prowess."

Tim: "Maggie Lawson, I can get her to laugh. But normally Maggie just laughs at me laughing.

#10 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

I think he looks different, but that's not a bad thing. I still think the man is gorgeous :D
"I've been having this
reoccurring dream where I'm flying over
Auckland on the back of a swan made primarily of
cocoa, his name is Clem."

"If you can laugh at yourself loud
and hard every time you fall,
people will think you're drunk." -Conan O'Brien

#11 I_Know

I_Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing either.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Nope, not at all :)
"I've been having this
reoccurring dream where I'm flying over
Auckland on the back of a swan made primarily of
cocoa, his name is Clem."

"If you can laugh at yourself loud
and hard every time you fall,
people will think you're drunk." -Conan O'Brien

#13 Corgi

Corgi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

I think James has filled out quite nicely. He was too skinny in season 1 to suit my tastes.

"Dude, you got some peat moss jammed behind your ear. It could be infested with mites."

Posted ImagePosted Image

Psyched for Psych
http://www.facebook.com/psyched4psych
http://www.myspace.com/psyched4psych

#14 bethgreen

bethgreen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

It occurs to me that my previous post didn't point out that IMHO different is *GOOD.*
James always looks different, making him a versatile actor.
Here's some eye candy to illustrate my point:

Posted Image

If you want to snag some of the pics or icons for yourself, visit my photobucket account
here.

#15 I_Know

I_Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

It occurs to me that my previous post didn't point out that IMHO different is *GOOD.*
James always looks different, making him a versatile actor.
Here's some eye candy to illustrate my point:

Posted Image

If you want to snag some of the pics or icons for yourself, visit my photobucket account
here.

He's just awesome no matter what!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 I_Know

I_Know

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Yes, James looks different. His weight gain is showing.

I have a theory as to the reason for it. He's in love!

Posted Image

To provide further evidence, here's some info from USNews.com:

"There's a reason why the last season of The Biggest Loser included couples; when two people meet and fall in love, they often change their eating and exercise habits, and not always for the better . . . One study presented last fall at the annual meeting of the Obesity Society found that young women who were dating gained an average of 15 pounds over five years, those women who were cohabiting but not married gained 18 pounds, and the newly married gained 24 pounds. The men saw a similar upward trend."

With Maggie, I'm sure! :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 RockRival

RockRival

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:56 AM

This has been bothering for the longest time. I became a major fan of psych during the very end of the first season... and then season 2 began, and I started to notice that James Roday looked different. I couldn't really pin exactly what it was until it started becoming more of a dramatic change. I thought for sure other people would have noticed the differences between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seasons, but I scoped the entire forum looking for a topic similar to the one I'm posting now, and there weren't any.
I know his hair has gotten bigger in size, lol, and he occasionally has some facial hair, but the thing I notice the most is that he is bulkier. In the first season, he seemed more lanky. It's like he bulked up for the show or something. I know everyone is probably thinking. "so... what wrong with more muscle?" But I honestly think that the way he looked during the first season, suited his character the best. I'm not trying to dis James Roday or anything... I just think he looked way cuter in the first season :P
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just crazy?? (oh, and ignore the other one I posted with practically the same title. I didn't mean to post it and I don't know how to delete it... can I delete it? I'm new...)
Season 1
Posted Image
Posted Image
Season 2 & 3
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I was actually just talking about this the other day. Because apparently the way James Roday looks is an important topic to me. :P I couldn't figure out exactly why James looked different, although, I thought it was the same reasons you mentioned; the hair, his muscle gain.

I agree that his lankiness suited Shawn a little more but Shawn'll always be Shawn no matter how he looks.

And I will always wish that I was Maggie Lawson, no matter how James looks. :P
Right Pineapple and Secretary Assistant to the CO, CMP2

i'm nobody's pawn ; i'm a queen.

#18 cargar101

cargar101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Finally someone agrees! Lol. Although, After watching the new episode "Six Feet Under The Sea" (which is probably by favorite episode so far), I was like, "Holy crap, James Roday! Sexy much?" Hahaha.
So, I've come to terms with it all, lol. :D

#19 psychfan93

psychfan93

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

I was like, "Holy crap, James Roday! Sexy much?" Hahaha.
So, I've come to terms with it all, lol. :D

:lol: :)
Official Apprentice to the High Priestess of the Pineapple of CMP^2

#20 PAK31

PAK31

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:21 PM

cargar101, don't worry. You are not alone. I wrote about this last year. Most people felt he looked better. I agreed but I just felt like you did, he looked different. I wasn't saying he looked worse but not the same as the character in season one. It was strange to me. I have come to realize that he did gain some weight, not bad weight, muscle and such. It's normal for people as they age and yes, as they date, to gain. He was too thin in season one, but that is how I first saw him so the shock of a different looking Shawn had me torn. I am the type of person who notices changes in the smallest details of things so that is why I was probably the way I was. He wears his hair and sideburns longer too, that makes a difference but his face is fuller looking. IT's a good thing. I think he looks great.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved