- - - - -

Questions for Matt Nix or other PTB

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

HI everyone! I've been reading through a few posts the past few days and I realize that a lot of us have questions for Matt Nix or other powers that be (PTB) in regards to the show so I thought I'd start this handy dandy thread in hopes that someone who knows knows will answer them. OK here are my two questions:
1.) Why was the season split up?
2.) Why was Fi at Michael's loft at 3:00 a.m. in "Good Soldier"?
Thanks in advance! :)

#2 rebecce

rebecce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:09 PM

:lol: Hi! This is a great idea!
I have 4 questions for TIIC at the USA NETWORK.
1)WHY WOULD YOU INTERRUPT THE BURN NOTICE SEASON To FORCE TENNIS DOWN OUR THROATS FOR 2 FREAKING WEEKS IN A ROW ?
1) WHY WOULD YOU SPLIT THE SEASON UP?
3) WHY IS IT NOT ON IN THE WINTER-FALL SEASON?
4) WHY CAN'T YOU PROPERLY PROMOTE THE SHOW ON YOUR SISTER NETWORK NBC, LIKE THEY PROMOTE THEIR SHOWS ON USA?

#3 astereo

astereo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:57 PM

The season splitting is common USA practice. As has been mentioned many times around here, the purpose is to prevent the show from being matched about against major networks main shows. A lot of this also probably comes directly from NBC orders b/c they specifically don't want their shows on during USA shows. It seems like all of you just look for something to complain about. If the season went right through then everyone would be bitching they had to wait until next summer. Now we wait a couple months, finish up the second season, and wait a few more for the third. And it allows the show to not have a weak end to the season b/c casual viewers won't have to worry about being pulled to major network shows.

#4 J0lly

J0lly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

Here's my question:

Why would you use a long haired stuntman for Michael on the motorcycle? It would have been more believable that it was actually Jeffrey Donavan if the man's hair wasn't hanging over the collar of his shirt and jacket!!

As for the split season....don't change it!! I'd rather see more Burn Notice in 4 months, rather than to have to wait 8 long, grueling months to see what happens to Mikey when he hits the ground!!!

#5 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

The season splitting is common USA practice. As has been mentioned many times around here, the purpose is to prevent the show from being matched about against major networks main shows. A lot of this also probably comes directly from NBC orders b/c they specifically don't want their shows on during USA shows. It seems like all of you just look for something to complain about. If the season went right through then everyone would be bitching they had to wait until next summer. Now we wait a couple months, finish up the second season, and wait a few more for the third. And it allows the show to not have a weak end to the season b/c casual viewers won't have to worry about being pulled to major network shows.

Excuse me but to you work for the USA network? Are you a producer or behind the scenes person on the show? Do you have some sort of access to knowledge that the rest of us don't? Sorry, but no last season was not split up like this. It was not "common practice" for this particular show and I think that's why so many of us are questioning it and wondering what's going on. We're not looking for something to "complain" or "bitch" about. I and a lot of us here on the board wanted to know why this is happening, that's why I posted the query to begin with.

#6 Nix

Nix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi.

USA splits seasons into 9 and 7 for all successful returning shows. We didn't do it last year because it was our first year and no one wanted to commit to 16 episodes without knowing if people would tune in.

So, for example, the Starter Wife and In Plain Sight won't get 9/7 because they're not returning shows, but next year, if they do return, they will. Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice all do. I'm not privy to the exact reasons. I do know that they would prefer that people not be without a show for almost an entire year, as happened with Burn Notice in 2007. I don't know if this is accurate, but the feeling is that having two mini-seasons means people aren't waiting more than a few months, ever.

I will point out that if you like "big episodes," it's probably a good thing. Premieres and finales are bigger, generally. Two mini-seasons means four big special episodes rather than two.

Thanks for being interested enough to ask!!

#7 kusa23

kusa23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

I'm with Jolly, I'd rather have the split.....It 'protects' the show to some extent as astereo was talking about, (not that i think it shouldn't survive under its own merits, but under some of the ptb in suit-ville.....no, I'm not going down that road again......), and having something to actually WATCH in the summer ('specially in Miami!!!) when all we have are reruns, and then back again in jan, when have the 'new' and 'brilliant' programming has fizzled out.....I'm just hunky dory with that!!!!! Again, as Jolly said, you don't have to wait 9 months to get it back....

And FR, I have to disagree with you on two points re your last post -- A. with the Writers' strike 'interference' how do you know what they might have planned to do last year, splitting it up or not....and B. Summer series (and now Summer/Winter series) are becoming more and more popular lately, in Cable and "regular' networks.....CBS putting on Swingtown had me seriously surprised....but Nip tuck, save for this year and the year McMahon was in Fan 4 II was always a summer series.....as have been many others (BSG, Kyle XY,......). THis show fits in perfectly as a summer series....

And as far as Fi in Mike's at 3 am.....the boy never locks his door for heaven sake!!!!....besides, with everything these two have been through together, do you think there's ANY hour of the day she HASN'T been there????? :lol: :D

I did love the fact she ate his last yogurt!!!!! :D

KA23 B)

Always Do the Best You Can with What You've Got!
Expect The Unexpected, And You Won't Be Disappointed....

#8 evelina69

evelina69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi.

USA splits seasons into 9 and 7 for all successful returning shows. We didn't do it last year because it was our first year and no one wanted to commit to 16 episodes without knowing if people would tune in.

So, for example, the Starter Wife and In Plain Sight won't get 9/7 because they're not returning shows, but next year, if they do return, they will. Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice all do. I'm not privy to the exact reasons. I do know that they would prefer that people not be without a show for almost an entire year, as happened with Burn Notice in 2007. I don't know if this is accurate, but the feeling is that having two mini-seasons means people aren't waiting more than a few months, ever.

I will point out that if you like "big episodes," it's probably a good thing. Premieres and finales are bigger, generally. Two mini-seasons means four big special episodes rather than two.

I think I speak for everyone when I say THANKS for responding. If the split season means that Burn Notice has gone from a show the station wasn't prepared to back to one that has now proved itself, then great. Personally I'm thrilled to not have a year long break from my favorite Spy.

If it isn't too much to ask, would you answer the second question that fiRocks asked about why Fiona was at Michael's at 3am.

Thanks in advance.

Ev

#9 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Thanks so much for answering the question now we kind of understand what was going on better I think. Thanks Evelina for having my back on the second question! ITA with Kusa though when isn't she at his place? ;)

#10 Nix

Nix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

With regard to Fi being at Michael's at 3:00 AM... I guess it didn't even occur to me as something to wonder about. He's working, she likes to hang out with him while he works. Probably teasing him with stories about Campbell and figuring out the best approach for the job.

In the original conception of this episode, Michael, Sam and Fiona did discuss the various ways that the running of agents can go wrong - and the ways they had gone wrong for them in the past. A crisis of conscience is particularly tough for a spy to deal with. So, filling in the blanks earlier in the evening, they were probably talking about that.

#11 elisetx

elisetx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

OK, Matt, if you're really reading and answering our questions, then please tell me why JD (aka MW) has not been seen shirtless since season 1? What's with the wife beater T's? I'm just wondering...............

#12 JennaV

JennaV

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,682 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hi, Matt. We've read that BN must give up its sound stage location at the convention center/Coconut Grove in Miami. Any information yet on finding a new location for filming season 3? Thank you... :D

Edited by JennaV, 21 September 2008 - 02:58 AM.

#13 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

With regard to Fi being at Michael's at 3:00 AM... I guess it didn't even occur to me as something to wonder about. He's working, she likes to hang out with him while he works. Probably teasing him with stories about Campbell and figuring out the best approach for the job.

In the original conception of this episode, Michael, Sam and Fiona did discuss the various ways that the running of agents can go wrong - and the ways they had gone wrong for them in the past. A crisis of conscience is particularly tough for a spy to deal with. So, filling in the blanks earlier in the evening, they were probably talking about that.

Thanks for the reply. My perspective on the whole thing was that granted they're still "helping each other with their stuff" but I didn't expect to see Fi at Michael's there so late/early. I thought she'd be at home all snug with Campbell. OMG did I just write that?!?! ;) Anyhow it totally worked for the scene to have her there when Michael was talking to the bgdj and the whole Proverbs 27:17 thing but a small part of me was wondering why she was there. Anyhow, thanks again!

#14 evelina69

evelina69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for answering these questions for us. If you have a sec and feel like answering, I have a brief questions.

The phenominal scene between Fi and Michael that we are all so amazed by: 27:17 related scene.. Well was that also written to be an opportunity for Michael to relay something to Fi how he sees her in his life - makes him a better person, shown him the way, etc etc? Or did the scene turn into something more dramatic because of how Jeffrey Donovan and Gabrielle Anwar played the scene? In other words, did you expect to get what ended up on screen or was that a surprise?

#15 FiRocks

FiRocks
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump! ;)

#16 gkrew

gkrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

lol at the bump bump bump of this thread....no offense FiRocks. Interesting responses here. you all are true fans.

#17 LGia19

LGia19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

Thank you for answering and for the show Period! Love it!
Peace.

#18 jlove15

jlove15

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for answering these questions for us. If you have a sec and feel like answering, I have a brief questions.

The phenominal scene between Fi and Michael that we are all so amazed by: 27:17 related scene.. Well was that also written to be an opportunity for Michael to relay something to Fi how he sees her in his life - makes him a better person, shown him the way, etc etc? Or did the scene turn into something more dramatic because of how Jeffrey Donovan and Gabrielle Anwar played the scene? In other words, did you expect to get what ended up on screen or was that a surprise?

It was a complete surprise to me. The whole interaction with Fi and Michael throughout the whole episode was a complete surprise to me. Because Fi has never really called Mike out the way she did in the episode. And his confession huge. We have never seen such an obvious emotional response from Mike before. So I was shocked.
Guns make you stupid, duct tape makes you smart.

I can change your story or end it.

Brushes with death, are like snow flakes. Each one is unique, and icy cold.

Let me tell you a story....

The one that you love is closer than you think

#19 kusa23

kusa23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

Thank you for answering and for the show Period! Love it!
Peace.

Yeah, me too....so sorry I posted over you...had no Idea you were there!!!!! :(

Ok, Question....WHen in January....are we getting a slightly or really belated New Year's present :lol: :D

KA23 B)

Always Do the Best You Can with What You've Got!
Expect The Unexpected, And You Won't Be Disappointed....

#20 siggy26

siggy26

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

Now that I've seen that interview with Jeffrey Donovan at the EW Emmy party, here's my question:

How many times did they run the scene? Was it something that came up in rehearsal where everyone on set thought, "That was brilliant. Let's keep it."

OR

Did Jeffrey and Gabrielle literally run it that way for the camera and then everyone went "Wow. What just happened there?"

(I have to admit, the first time I watched the DVD screener I went back and hit the repeat button about four or five times. Because the first time was more of a "??????" moment -- as in, was that really a turning point for these two characters or am I just imagining things? Then I tried explaining it to a select few people before the episode aired, and it literally became "Nevermind. You have to watch and give it your own interpretation." )

On another note -- the "crisis of conscience" thing is such a wonderful exploration, as far as I'm concerned. We know that Michael used to live in a very grey world, whereas now things seem to be very black and white because he's helping people that can't help themselves. But I often find myself wondering, "Who was Michael Westen before the Burn Notice?" -- and is he now getting to a point where living in this world of espionage and violence is really starting to take a toll on who he is? (Because we see the Michael that pretty much does every job for free -- minus expenses -- and really works to bring about the *least* amount of collateral damage regardless of the situation. But now he's basically responsible for taking all the people he truly cares about and putting them in danger...and I have to believe that whether or not that's intentional on his part -- because Michael is still a master manipulator -- it's got to start eating away at his conscience little by little)
The feeling of putting yourself on the line and really putting your talent out there, and betting on yourself and having it work, is the most exhilarating feeling in the world. ~ Conan O'Brien

---

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved