Marshall and Mary's relationship

158 replies to this topic

#1 Michi127

Michi127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

I think Marshall and Mary might end up more than friends. What do you think?

#2 Mary_Mann

Mary_Mann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:23 PM

I think Marshall and Mary might end up more than friends. What do you think?

I sure hope so :) ... so does 61% of the population that has voted on the IN PLAIN SIGHT POLL Who makes the best couple?

#3 caff

caff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

Uh, duh. In Marshall's bio it says they're friends, partners, and maybe someday more, if that's not foreshadowing to what this ENTIRE series is going to lead up to I don't know what is.

#4 detectivegrl

detectivegrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

I think that it might lead to something else. but for now, they're just friends and partners.
or, that they like each other, but can never be together...
Law &
Order

Criminal Intent

... it would be a crime to miss it

#5 DragonEmpress

DragonEmpress

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:30 PM

I thought they look cute together

#6 raeangel319

raeangel319

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

check out youtube.

type in "marshall's relationships"

#7 closetfan

closetfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

check out youtube.

Goobers?!! Stan's a goober?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

#8 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:00 PM

Considering Mary is going to get engaged to Raph this season, I wouldn't hold out much hope for Mary and Marshall. They're colleagues, that's all.

#9 Summer_Fun

Summer_Fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:41 AM

Engaged doesn't mean married, much less the whole fussy business. I can't imagine Mary doing anything approaching that.

#10 TFirestone

TFirestone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

check out youtube.

Where did you find that? I couldn't find it anywhere!

#11 joleva75

joleva75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

Marshall already has feeling for Mary, he just tries to keep it hidden from everyone. It comes out when she's hurting and he makes an effort to comfort her. I believe that she has deeper feelings for him than even she knows because when things get to be too much, she will confide in him when she won't talk to anyone else.

A love scene between them would be so AWESOME! Even if it is nothing but a dream ;) . COME ON ALREADY!!

#12 mariner

mariner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Count me in the "I hope not" camp.

The show will go to the dogs as soon as that happens.

#13 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

Count me in the "I hope not" camp.

The show will go to the dogs as soon as that happens.

I'm in that camp too. I have read on here that Fred says in interviews that Marshal has feelings for Mary, but I just don't see it. I have seen him look at her with the awareness that she is, in fact a woman...such as when "the girls" were in his face in Never the Bride. But then, as he told Mary when she accused him of being ready to "throw it down with his partner" with armed killers around the corner..."I'm a guy. That's what we do." But that is lust, not romantic feelings. More often his comment, "You're no girl" is how I think he sees her. I like their partnership/friendship...I would not like a romance between them, I don't think.

But then, I just have this weird aversion to portraying law enforcement officers as being romantically involved. While there are TV shows I "ship"...I rarely, if ever, ship cop shows. That's the one thing I dislike about Saving Grace.
Posted Image

WELCOME HOME, BOBBY AND ALEX!!!

#14 Rekster

Rekster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

But then, I just have this weird aversion to portraying law enforcement officers as being romantically involved. While there are TV shows I "ship"...I rarely, if ever, ship cop shows. That's the one thing I dislike about Saving Grace.

I am with you on this point. I generally don't like these shows with "relationships" amongst partners. The point about Saving Grace and the relationship with Ham and Grace is great. I can't stand this relationship and wish they would just end it somehow. I do love Saving Grace otherwise. Grace is such a compelling character, she is so screwed up that I can't stop watching her, just like a car wreck on the freeway to me.

#15 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

I am with you on this point. I generally don't like these shows with "relationships" amongst partners. The point about Saving Grace and the relationship with Ham and Grace is great. I can't stand this relationship and wish they would just end it somehow. I do love Saving Grace otherwise. Grace is such a compelling character, she is so screwed up that I can't stop watching her, just like a car wreck on the freeway to me.

I guess the one good thing about the Grace and Ham relationship is that it demonstrates the pitfalls of law enforcement partners becoming romantically involved. You are right, Grace is a compelling character. And it looks like she's probably been with just about everyone in the department. :lol: But Ham is different, it's becoming serious...more for him than for her. And there's the problem. Ham is more invested in this relationship than Grace is and he is beginning to have a real problem with that. I missed last week's episode, so I don't know what happened between them, but the way it's going this is going to spill over into their work and it won't be pretty.

OK, OK...I'll get back on topic. This is exactly my bias against these kind of relationships. It doesn't bother me on other types of shows; medical, lawyer, whatever. Workplace romances can get sticky and make things at work difficult. But with law enforcement, partners need to be able to trust one another with their lives. They also need to be completely focused on the job while they are working or someone could get killed. So Stan and Eleanor...I'm all for that. Stan and Eleanor aren't likely to get caught in a shoot-out that neither of them saw coming because they were distracted by whatever problems they may be having. Mary and Marshal, on the other hand, are much more likely to get into a shootout....and I want them both to be focused on the danger at hand, not on how soon can they get home and jump into bed. And I see nothing but problems if they were to get together. Just like Grace and Ham on Saving Grace, I think Marshal would likely be more invested in any relationship than Mary would.
Posted Image

#16 Basia77

Basia77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

I'm not against the idea at all, which is weird to me since I generally don't "ship" characters.

I think if they go in that direction it will all depend on how it plays out. I've seen it work out really well on some shows, other shows, not so much.

All the same, I don't think anything serious will happen between them any time soon. They've really been keeping how Marshall feels about Mary on the back burner, so I don't think it will suddenly become a big storyline. But I'm just willing to wait and see how it turns out. The relationship between Mary and Marshall is my favorite aspect of the show and I've been happy so far, so I'm just gonna sit back and see where the writers take us.

#17 mariner

mariner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

I'm in that camp too. I have read on here that Fred says in interviews that Marshal has feelings for Mary, but I just don't see it.

Interesting.

I thought it was pretty clear that he DOES have feelings for Mary. He disguises them with pointed banter, like "You're no girl" and (my favorite so far) "Actually I was going to say 'Taming of the Shrew'".

Edited by mariner, 03 July 2009 - 06:03 PM.

#18 JaredD

JaredD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

I've never seen "Grace", but I am a Holly Hunter fan. It's just that I'm not too much for straight-out police dramas. I think she is an impressive actress and I love the way she immerses herself in whatever character she portrays. BUT, I'm of the no-shipping mindset. For one: is there any bigger cliché out there? Just because it is a male-female pair, there HAS TO BE romance involved? Somehow I feel that writers are lowering their standards, pandering when they start writing in that direction. Stan and Eleanor—office romance—tolerable—(as the poster said), it's not likely they are going to be out in the field trying not to get each other killed. Plus, they are "settled", and not apt to have very much volatility in their relationship, and also now it goes on pretty much in the background.

Marshall and Mary are in life and death situations, they needs to stay focus on the job to be done and not be distracted by each other. And then, what about us? Since Mary and Marshall are most definitely "unsettled", are we going to be subjected each week to the Soapy-issues of a Marshall & Mary relationship? (I'd expect there to be many if these two hooked up). It is enough that Marshall has Mary's back—he needs to leave the rest of her alone.

Edited by JaredD, 03 July 2009 - 06:55 PM.

Reality puts prophesy to shame.
— Nancy Gibbs

#19 EthanyStar

EthanyStar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

I LOVE THIS SHOW. MARSHALL AND MARY ARE AWESOME, ALONG WITH THE PLOT! HOPE WE GET A FEW MORE SEASONS OUT OUT OF IT! :D

#20 ciaddict

ciaddict

• Moderators
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

I've never seen "Grace", but I am a Holly Hunter fan. It's just that I'm not too much for straight-out police dramas. I think she is an impressive actress and I love the way she immerses herself in whatever character she portrays. BUT, I'm of the no-shipping mindset. For one: is there any bigger cliché out there? Just because it is a male-female pair, there HAS TO BE romance involved? Somehow I feel that writers are lowering their standards, pandering when they start writing in that direction. Stan and Eleanor—office romance—tolerable—(as the poster said), it's not likely they are going to be out in the field trying not to get each other killed. Plus, they are "settled", and not apt to have very much volatility in their relationship, and also now it goes on pretty much in the background.

Marshall and Mary are in life and death situations, they needs to stay focus on the job to be done and not be distracted by each other. And then, what about us? Since Mary and Marshall are most definitely "unsettled", are we going to be subjected each week to the Soapy-issues of a Marshall & Mary relationship? (I'd expect there to be many if these two hooked up). It is enough that Marshall has Mary's back—he needs to leave the rest of her alone.

:lol: Agreed!
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved