• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TexasRoadRunne

TexasRoadRunne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Does anyone know if Jeff REALLY speaks Russian OR was it just VERY good acting in last week's episode??? I lived in Russia for 5 years and picked the language up on the street - I'm not fluent but know it well enough to get by and understand most things. I gotta say Jeff's Russian is EXCELLENT. Just wondering if anyone might know if he does speak it.

#2 tgirl

tgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

Does anyone know if Jeff REALLY speaks Russian OR was it just VERY good acting in last week's episode??? I lived in Russia for 5 years and picked the language up on the street - I'm not fluent but know it well enough to get by and understand most things. I gotta say Jeff's Russian is EXCELLENT. Just wondering if anyone might know if he does speak it.

I remember reading somewhere that he studied it in school. (He has a graduate arts degree as well as a college degree.) How far he went with it I don't know. Maybe someone else here will remember the article.

#3 fotojenic

fotojenic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

I remember reading somewhere that he studied it in school. (He has a graduate arts degree as well as a college degree.) How far he went with it I don't know. Maybe someone else here will remember the article.

JD studied Russian and Stanislavsky 's method acting at school according to his old interview. He wanted to be able do a stagework in Russian play. Guess being in BN allows him to attain some of his aspirations from school.

#4 LuLuNY

LuLuNY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

I would think that maybe he learned it in a class and put forth what he knew or did a touch up for the role.

#5 BurnBabyBurn

BurnBabyBurn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:23 PM

2nd degree blackbelt, and the background in Russian, you would think that JD was studying to be a spy all his life.

#6 FloridaRealtor

FloridaRealtor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

I think it's cute. Like wanting to grow up to be a fireman.

#7 evelina69

evelina69

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

I am Russian, well Ukrainian to be exact, so I have to say Jeffrey's delivery of those lines in Russian are really spot on. Mind you, on most shows/movies when non-Russian actors are made to speak Russian they are only given like 5 words to say, but on Burn Notice they have him having whole conversations in Russian. He sounds really authentic.

#8 dcdarling

dcdarling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

I'm not Russian but I understand it pretty well, and in the pilot he said something to the landlord in Russian...like 2 words...and I thought "Hey, not bad..." but then when he started having entire conversations in it in the last episode, I was really surprised...it's got to be really hard to act in a foreign language, do I figured he must actually know it. Actually, now that I think about it, they imply he knows lots of foreign languages (as any spy would) but the only one we've heard him use is Russian.

#9 melybelle

melybelle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

I'm not Russian but I understand it pretty well, and in the pilot he said something to the landlord in Russian...like 2 words...and I thought "Hey, not bad..." but then when he started having entire conversations in it in the last episode, I was really surprised...it's got to be really hard to act in a foreign language, do I figured he must actually know it. Actually, now that I think about it, they imply he knows lots of foreign languages (as any spy would) but the only one we've heard him use is Russian.

No, he spoke to Carla a few episodes ago in... Arabic or Armenian, something like that (I don't think it was Farsi) and remarked to Sam that she spoke the language with a Kurdish accent. That's how they got the lead that she had spent time in the middle east, hence the trip to the Pakistani consulate and the meetings with Wasseem.
"

#10 vestokes

vestokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

STOP IT!!!!!  I don't need another reason to continue my obsession with JD. Enough already!!!!  :unsure:

#11 mjwannabe

mjwannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

STOP IT!!!!! I don't need another reason to continue my obsession with JD. Enough already!!!! :unsure:

You are right vestokes. You don't need another reason. You can certainly go on obsessing with the reasons you already have. So what's another reason really? :D
The Whacked Out High Priestess of STOOPID (and part-time stupidity spiritual guide)

#12 vestokes

vestokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

You are right vestokes. You don't need another reason. You can certainly go on obsessing with the reasons you already have. So what's another reason really? :D

!!
Well, there are 3 right off the top of my head that I just can't get past. He's HOT HOT HOT!!!!

#13 mjwannabe

mjwannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

!!
Well, there are 3 right off the top of my head that I just can't get past. He's HOT HOT HOT!!!!

So see! Another reason isn't going to push you over the edge. (I'm not helping am I??) :P
The Whacked Out High Priestess of STOOPID (and part-time stupidity spiritual guide)

#14 vestokes

vestokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

So see! Another reason isn't going to push you over the edge. (I'm not helping am I??) :P

No, but you have reminded me that I can always go to another JD-aholic session. 

#15 melybelle

melybelle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:38 AM

No, but you have reminded me that I can always go to another JD-aholic session.

Heck, I only need one reason to be obsessed: that killer smile!!! :rolleyes:
"

#16 vestokes

vestokes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

JD studied Russian and Stanislavsky 's method acting at school according to his old interview. He wanted to be able do a stagework in Russian play. Guess being in BN allows him to attain some of his aspirations from school.

Yes. He wanted to do Chekhov in Russian, I guess.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved