Advertisement

No Celebrity Endorsement Implied

Photo
- - - - -

Why isn't psych filmed in Santa Barbara?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 biff

biff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

:angry: I love the show but, having lived and worked around Santa Barbara for the past 30 years, it drives me postal when they try to pass off British Columbia, Canada as Santa Barbara, California, USA!

I know that Santa Barbara is very cooperative with the TV & Movie industry and would welcome the use of their town. Come-on USA Network, let's get real!

#2 Bubba_Bridges

Bubba_Bridges

"Executive Assistant"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,456 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Hi Bubba here, ...

:angry: I love the show but, having lived and worked around Santa Barbara for the past 30 years, it drives me postal when they try to pass off British Columbia, Canada as Santa Barbara, California, USA!

I know that Santa Barbara is very cooperative with the TV & Movie industry and would welcome the use of their town. Come-on USA Network, let's get real!

I think it has to do with money. It's cheaper to film in Canada.

My Website: Monk Information Page (Bridges to Monk) My Favorite Radio Station: Smooth Jazz 98.9

"Forum Resident" and "Forum Watchdog"

#3 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:32 AM

Mhm, deniro.
"I've been having this
reoccurring dream where I'm flying over
Auckland on the back of a swan made primarily of
cocoa, his name is Clem."

"If you can laugh at yourself loud
and hard every time you fall,
people will think you're drunk." -Conan O'Brien

#4 biff

biff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

Bubba,
Thank God they don't film Monk or Burn Notice in Canada! It would be tough to pass any part of Canada off as Miami or San Francisco! ;)

#5 Teresa1643

Teresa1643

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

Bubba,
Thank God they don't film Monk or Burn Notice in Canada! It would be tough to pass any part of Canada off as Miami or San Francisco! ;)

The first season of Monk was filmed in Toronto and the pilot was filmed in Vancouver. I think those cities actually look a little more like San Francisco than Los Angeles does.

Considering the success Psych is having so far perhaps they can manage a little location shooting in Santa Barbara next season.
<i> I can't debate you if you talk gibberish that sounds kind of like something a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins would say.</i>

#6 Monkish1969

Monkish1969

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

I told my wife we had to visit Santa Barbara before I knew the show wasn't filmed there. It was a huge disappointment.

#7 biff

biff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:19 PM

I told my wife we had to visit Santa Barbara before I knew the show wasn't filmed there. It was a huge disappointment.

:huh: What was a huge disapointment? Santa Barbara or the fact that the show wasn't filmed there?

#8 susan1017

susan1017

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

Before I realized that this show wasn't filmed in the states I couldn't figure out why this flag was painted on the backs of the buses that zoom by when they are outside.

Posted Image

#9 Monkish1969

Monkish1969

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

:huh: What was a huge disapointment? Santa Barbara or the fact that the show wasn't filmed there?

It was a disappointment that I wanted to go to Santa Barbara on vacation, and the place I thought was Santa Barbara wasn't. See? I'm not sure I do. :)

#10 biff

biff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

It was a disappointment that I wanted to go to Santa Barbara on vacation, and the place I thought was Santa Barbara wasn't. See? I'm not sure I do. :)

:D LMAO! OK, so.....you went on vacation to Santa Barbara and when you got there it didn't look like Vancover? Did you have a good time anyway? Where do you live?

#11 ChicaWest

ChicaWest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

Regardless of where the show is filmed it's still AWESOME and I think for the viewers who have never been to Santa Barbara, you should go anyway just to see the difference between the Psych set and the actual city. Santa Barbara is a beautiful town to plan a vacation to. ;)
Chica adores Burton Guster

#12 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

I wanna go to White Rock, it seems pretty sweet from everything I've seen on the show. And then I've looked up random stuff online. It looks as though it's a nice little place to hang out for a couple days.
"I've been having this

#13 PsychFanSue

PsychFanSue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

I wanna go to White Rock, it seems pretty sweet from everything I've seen on the show. And then I've looked up random stuff online. It looks as though it's a nice little place to hang out for a couple days.

It IS a nice little beach town...just don't expect to find a parking place on a summer weekend afternoon- it's insanely crowded then.

I live 3 hours south and was in Vancouver for a soccer game and concert on a Friday last September, so I took a little detour thru White Rock to see if I could spot them filming. Drove all around and couldn't find anything going on, which I thought was unusual because it was a beautiful day, not too busy, etc. All of a sudden I remembered a little community a few miles away called Crescent Beach and thought to myself, I bet they film there too, since it's similar but less crowded. I drove there and was stopped at a light waiting to turn onto the road that goes to the beach when I saw a sign that said "Psych" with an arrow pointing down the road!! Which was pretty cool because I didn't actually think I'd be RIGHT! :P (I did notice later while watching one of the 1st season episodes on DVD, Lassiter and O'Hara coming out of a store with the sign visible that says "Crescent Beach Grocery." Maybe I remembered it subconsciously.)

So anyway, I didn't see any filming but I did see the catering/laundry trucks, and a gelato place that they were setting up to film a scene there. Would love to have stuck around to watch the filming but I had to get to the game.

I can't wait to go up there again and do a little "Psych-seeing" ;)
(Sorry for the long post. I tried to condense the story a little.)

#14 sarcasmlove

sarcasmlove

Super Psych-O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:03 AM

It IS a nice little beach town...just don't expect to find a parking place on a summer weekend afternoon- it's insanely crowded then.

I live 3 hours south and was in Vancouver for a soccer game and concert on a Friday last September, so I took a little detour thru White Rock to see if I could spot them filming. Drove all around and couldn't find anything going on, which I thought was unusual because it was a beautiful day, not too busy, etc. All of a sudden I remembered a little community a few miles away called Crescent Beach and thought to myself, I bet they film there too, since it's similar but less crowded. I drove there and was stopped at a light waiting to turn onto the road that goes to the beach when I saw a sign that said "Psych" with an arrow pointing down the road!! Which was pretty cool because I didn't actually think I'd be RIGHT! :P (I did notice later while watching one of the 1st season episodes on DVD, Lassiter and O'Hara coming out of a store with the sign visible that says "Crescent Beach Grocery." Maybe I remembered it subconsciously.)

So anyway, I didn't see any filming but I did see the catering/laundry trucks, and a gelato place that they were setting up to film a scene there. Would love to have stuck around to watch the filming but I had to get to the game.

That's awesome. I would have flipped a switch if I saw them filming...or even a sign, pointing to where they were filming lmao.

But seriously, I really do wanna go up there and hang out for a couple days, cause again, it seems really cool, but it would be a total pro to be up there when they're filming ;)
"I've been having this

#15 bigkitty_4

bigkitty_4

psych fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

It is money; pure and simple. New York City has a heck of a time convincing productions to film there. Alot of people hated Three Men and a Baby because it wasn't filmed in New York; it was filmed in Canada; because it was cheaper to shoot in Canada than it is in here. All three Law and Orders are done in New York; costing the network and the studio money. I was happy that USA Network pick up a series that didn't have its first season in Canada (Yes, I am talking about Burn Notice.) Fox Studios is the studio responsible for this show is now shares production cost with USA Network. It all about the money and how much you are willing to spend. Even some of Monk exteriors are not in San Francisco, if you saw "Mr. Monk and The Birds and The Bees" you would have recognize Santa Monica Pier and the amusement park that was used in the episode. So, to answer your question, my old economics professer would tell you it has to do with money you are willing to spend to present your product.
"McNabb, hold back the Wonder Twins!"

"Somebody forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning."

#16 Monkish1969

Monkish1969

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

:D LMAO! OK, so.....you went on vacation to Santa Barbara and when you got there it didn't look like Vancover? Did you have a good time anyway? Where do you live?

Sorry biff, I wasn't clear. We didn't actually go, I was just in the planning stages. My disappointment came from not knowing which scenes were Santa Barbara and which were Vancouver. Not to mention the grief that I still get from my wife who thought the whole thing was very funny.

#17 Pak67

Pak67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for that story!! That would have been so cool. Even though you didn't see anything happening, it is really neat that you saw some of the set. That would be a fun road trip for you, not me cause I am near Chicago. :( I would do it if I had the chance though.

#18 biff

biff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

Sorry biff, I wasn't clear. We didn't actually go, I was just in the planning stages. My disappointment came from not knowing which scenes were Santa Barbara and which were Vancouver. Not to mention the grief that I still get from my wife who thought the whole thing was very funny.

And on the next episode of Mr. Monkish goes to Santa Barbara we will see Mr. Monkish kill his wife in yet another clever way that will go undetected by the local Police. Will Mr. Monkish ever get caught? ;)

So....where do you two love birds live? Santa Barbara is a cool place to see. The whole central coast is awesome. If you love wine (and who doesn't) there are more wineries in the area than you can count! The movie SIDEWAYS was filmed in Solvang / Santa Ynez, which is just 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara!

#19 eryn

eryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Vancouver is the Hollywood of Canada.....at a fraction of the cost, with gorgeous scenery, beautiful architecture and nicer people. Okay, I don't really know if the people are nicer, and now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the USD maybe it won't stay cheaper...

Here's an interesting article on the topic:

http://www.scifi.com...48/cassutt.html

It looks like California is trying to lure the jobs back across the border by protesting the huge tax breaks the production company's get.......and I do agree with the writer, some of the movies and TV shows we like would not have been made were it not for the cheaper labor and production costs in Canada. Also, I have to say, as someone from Southern California it's nice to see a change in scenery. I swear Hollywood's used every inch of the topography in this state to depict cities and regions across the globe.....but I can always tell it's California. Although, I guess that would be a good thing for this particular show..

#20 PsyFanPinapplejuice

PsyFanPinapplejuice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Vancouver is the Hollywood of Canada.....at a fraction of the cost, with gorgeous scenery, beautiful architecture and nicer people. Okay, I don't really know if the people are nicer, and now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the USD maybe it won't stay cheaper...

Here's an interesting article on the topic:

http://www.scifi.com...48/cassutt.html

It looks like California is trying to lure the jobs back across the border by protesting the huge tax breaks the production company's get.......and I do agree with the writer, some of the movies and TV shows we like would not have been made were it not for the cheaper labor and production costs in Canada. Also, I have to say, as someone from Southern California it's nice to see a change in scenery. I swear Hollywood's used every inch of the topography in this state to depict cities and regions across the globe.....but I can always tell it's California. Although, I guess that would be a good thing for this particular show..

You would be correct. Because the Canadian dolar is strong, and the US dollar is weaker in value...the approximate cost to film in BC is about the same as CA.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved