• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

I just watched the show and loved it alot. I was rather concerned that they showed who the bad guy was and didn't really have a mystery to the episode. It was the subplot that gave the twist but I really enjoyed that Nat gave the Here's what happend part. The urn thing did bug me. Mixing up someone love ones kinda turned me off. I liked talk with Julie. It was very cute. Even though Monk was trying to get out of it, he made his point that she should do things only when she feels sure of it, no pressure from others. Next weeks show looks even better! :)

#42 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

I liked the talk between Adrian and Julie, too. It was so funny the way he was practically begging at the end, "Stop crying. Let me out of here." I half expected him to continue with "...Before I start crying." I think that Natalie was right in choosing Adrian to talk to her about it. There are some things that moms aren't the best suited person to talk to their daughters about, because the daughters think, "She's my mom, of course she's gonna say that, she loves me/she's never going to see me as growing up/she'll always think I'm pretty,smart, great,ect..." Or in this case, "She's my mom, and a woman, she could be wrong about how boys think." Ideally, a girl has a father or father figure growing up so that they have less reason to question whether a guy can or will ever respect and value them for some reason aside from sex. The whole "If you really loved me, you'd do it," argument and the threat of breaking up with her if she doesn't get a whole lot weaker in a girl's mind when she's grown up with the unconditional love of a man who she sees as the template for the perfect man. Even if they don't know it, girls look for someone like their dad, and if they can't imagine their father ever saying something like that to a girl, then they become less enchanted with a boy who would. Her father becomes what her ideal of a real man is. In this case, Natalie wanted Julie to know that a very good, smart, sweet man that she respects and admires and who was a young man/boy once felt that it was worth it to wait for the right person, and to wait for that person to be ready. Hearing it from her mom, and to a lesser extent, any woman wouldn't have the same impact. Her mom would be too close to the situation to see it clearly in Julie's eyes, and as I said, she's not going to think they know how boys think, and she might even wonder how much of what they tell her is true or colored by their own experiences trying to navigate dating boys in high school.

And like Dani said, it was really more about relationships than the actual mechanics of where babies come from. Like Natalie wrote in her blog, there are books, they teach sex ed in schools now, they learn a lot from talking to other kids (though a lot of that is *wrong*) and they could always do like I did and grab the World Book Encyclopedia to learn about how babies are made. The stuff that she discussed with Adrian was really more something you need to talk to someone else about, so you can ask questions, it's not as cut and dry as 'sperm + egg = baby'.

My husband couldn't understand why Julie was arguing with Natalie and 'being so mean to her mom' in the scene where she was telling her about breaking up with Tim. I think it's because of Julie's inner conflict; she really did like Tim better than Clay, but Clay was more popular and older and could drive so she was trying to look at it like an equation like the sperm + egg equation above. From a purely practical or sort of mathmatical POV, Clay was a better choice. But as we saw with her conversation with Adrian, this is the part where the rules of logic don't really help. You can't measure what you feel in incrimants and put that into an equation. It's nicely ironic that with Adrian, almost everything has to make sense and has to have logic, he believes in things he can see and he's not as good at things that can't be seen or measured. Except for this one thing. There's room to question or doubt anything that can't be seen, touched, or measured by some universal, scientific scale or method, except for how he felt about Trudy and how real that was. See? Nice.

The mystery was good, too, sort of a 'How-will-he-prove-it?' that wasn't too easy to figure out. I guessed that Julie's tee-shirt had something to do with it, and he had something to do with Clay asking Julie out, but I couldn't see the shirt closely and didn't know how Adrian would prove anything after Julie burned the shirt. I didn't know exactly how Julie's love life tied into the murder.

Just curious, did anyone else wonder about the plausability of Tim being able to save all those CDs before they sank too far for him to get them? Well, just in case I wasn't the only one and anyone else is curious, CDs that are not in a jewel case do sink, but very slowly, and when Tim hit the water and broke the surface tension, they still wouldn't sink all that fast. But, CDs inside of a case, like those were, don't really sink, or at least if they do, they sink so slowly that you might as well say they don't sink. And, they do still work afterwards! I ran water in my kitchen sink, mixed in a lot of kosher salt (dissolved it, too) then tossed in a CD in a case and a DVD without a case, and did it again so I could test the surface tension thing. Then I rinsed them off, dried them, and tried them out and they worked. GHood thing too, because the DVD was actually my brother in law's wedding DVD that I was editing, and I didn't think about that before I tossed it in the sink. I had a Randy moment, okay? It still works! That's the important thing.

I liked Randy in this one too. I loved the 'Mmmm. Guilty' line, it was so funny. Randy has my kind of sense of humor. But he didn't ruin the tv screen, really. A little alcohol on a paper towel will take that right off. It worked on my computer monitor lots of times. At least my old monitor. I haven't tried it on the new one, it's an LCD monitor and I'm afraid it might do something lile that TV screen did when Adrian sprayed the acid stuff on it in Dead Guy. I guess I'll have to find a new way to mark where I should crop my screencaps when I make the animated GIFs. Even permanent marker comes off with a little alcohol and elbow grease.

I don't think Rita was a meter maid, I suspected a slightly different line of work. I can't imagine a meter maid needing to be handcuffed to a chair. I wasn't sure why a witness to a knife fight (alledged or otherwise) would need to be handcuffed to a chair either. But did you recognize the actress, Gail O'Grady? She played Miranda StClair in the pilot episode. Her awkwardness with the chair reminded me of the scene where Adrian was talking to her and trying to cram his butt into that tiny chair, then got it stuck on him when he tried to stand up.

This episode reminded me a lot of Carnival, too, with Adrian going to the dead guy's apartment with the dead guy's landlord standing there talking about how much of a pain his former tennant was, and then the setting of where they caught up with the guy, the photos taken at the carnival/park providing a clue, the photo guy screaming to alert them that something important was happening was like when Stokes killed Kitty the ferris wheel operator... And yeah, Bubba, I thought of Marathon Man too when Adrian was trying to catch Sherman before he could throw the evidence into the water, too. And whoever asked about whether Tim reminded anyone else of Benjy a little bit? Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. Somehow he does remind me of Kane Ritchotte.

I loved the parts of Cobra that were representational and sort of metaphorical (I think that's the right usage of the word) and I loved the parallels and comparisons in it, with Master Zee telling Adrian to 'be the light' then later, Stottlemeyer was able to find Adrian because the caution light was out among other things. It was just very hard for me to watch the shots that reminded me that Adrian was in a very tiny box buried under a lot of dirt. I have a serious phobia about being underground, especially of being buried alive. It's difficult for me to even go down into a basement or underground room, garage or some other kind of underground space without having an anxiety attack. I wasn't being critical when I said it was hard to watch, I mean it's literally hard to watch for me. But I could really appreciate and enjoy the symbolism of the situation and I can't imagine any other way they could have used that same metaphor nearly as effectively as having Adrian buried alive in a coffin, brought right to the brink of death, walk and talk with Trudy, and then be more or brought back to life at the end. Its the best way I could imagine to have Adrian sort of journey through death and be reborn. It's just inconvenient for me that watching it give me sympathetic death pains. :) It's actually a good comparison or whatever with the story or the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice in a lot of ways.

I do wonder how that scene (where he was buried alone in a much smaller space with only a little candle for light) will compare with being buried in a larger space with a source of light that won't be as likely to set the container he is in on fire and won't burn up his oxygen, but with another person who *will* be using oxygen. It looks like, from the previews, that rather than taking comfort from the presence of another person being there, he's going to be fighting with Troy instead. I guess though that they won't have to call Dr. Kroger this time. With his son also being buried, he'll probably be a part of the search party and be on hand when they find them, thought I can't imagine him being too focused on Adrian and his issues as soon as they dig them out. He'll be more worried about Troy, obviously.
Geocities ate my Timeline! :(

#43 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

I just watched the show and loved it alot. I was rather concerned that they showed who the bad guy was and didn't really have a mystery to the episode. It was the subplot that gave the twist but I really enjoyed that Nat gave the Here's what happend part. The urn thing did bug me. Mixing up someone love ones kinda turned me off. I liked talk with Julie. It was very cute. Even though Monk was trying to get out of it, he made his point that she should do things only when she feels sure of it, no pressure from others. Next weeks show looks even better! :)

I thought the thing with the urns was funny, though I can see how it would bother some people and seem very disrespectful. On a purely personal level, I don't care what anyone does with my remains after I die, I told my husband to take the cheapest route he could find, maybe cremate me, put me in a shoebox and bury me between Fluffy, my iguana and Roxie, the very old, and senile poodle that I lost last year. I wouldn't even care if he gave me a 'burial at seas' and flushed it all down the toilet, because it's just my body, it's not me. But I can see where most people wouldn't feel that way, particularly about people they love. But I suspect that my own veiws had a lot to do with why I thought the situation was really funny.

#44 ILuvLeland

ILuvLeland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

IMO this wasn't one of the funnier episodes, and I don't think they played up Monk's OCD. It was okay, but I don't think it'll go down as one of the top 10.
;)

#45 likeadrian

likeadrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

I didn't really care for this episode as much as I have cared for others this season..I loved when Monk tackled that guy, though..there were a few good moments.
Monk: You know, I'm tired of all these chess metaphors, Patrick. These were two real people, not chess pieces. I think they deserve a little more respect. Although if you insist, checkmate.

#46 monkrocks12

monkrocks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

It was good in this episode that the writers had Monk talk about Trudy again. It has been too long since there has been a Trudy mention. One of the show's endearing qualities for me is Adrian's continued devotion to Trudy and the theme that Trudy in her own way is still watching over him and that Trudy still loves him. Now Adrian has to do some more work on finding Trudy's killer and bringing him to justice so that we will see the steely part of Monk. Of course when that happens I think the show will be over so I think the writers are saving that til the last. It wasn't a lmho episode, but then again Monk doesn't make me lmho anymore. It used to in season one and two. I didn't like the part where they gave Natalie the "Here's how it happened" It isn't just that Natalie got to give the "Here's how it happened" I hated it when they gave that part to Randy in "Mr. Monk goes to a farm" The 'Here's how it happened' to me is reserved for Monk. After all Monk is the main character after all and the topic of the show should revolve around him. Every episode it should be Monk solving the crime doing the "Here's how it happened" Natalie, Julie, Stotlemyer, Randy are supporting characters and are there to support the main character Monk not steal his thunder. The thing that keeps me watching the show despite that fact that it doesn't make me lmho anymore is Tony Shalhoub who is the heart of the show. He is reason enough for me to keep watching. Ok critique over. IMO
Avid Psych and Shules fan since 2006.

#47 savvykate

savvykate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

this episode was good. but it was really easy 2 figure out why the killer needed julie 2 stop wearing the t-shirt. but i loved how the end of the show was at the santa monica pier, it's always nice 2 see monk in new locations, especially monk chasing the killer himself!!

KUDOS to Emmy Clarke! she is 1 really talented actress.
her character, julie, is one of my fav daughter roles in ALL the tv shows i've ever seen!!
such a nice, pretty, sweet & smart girl. :D [REMEMBER 2 READ HER first BLOG, IT'S A GOOD ONE! BUT WHY NOT POST A PICTURE OF HER UP? NEXT 2 HER BLOG IS NATALIE AND MONK'S PIC. IS THIS A MISTAKE, OR IS IT CUZ "HER MOM" DIDN'T LET HER POST UP HER PIC? HAHA]
her boyfriend, Tim, in this episode is a really sweet and cute guy, too!! he looks familiar, somehow...

there were some really great scenes in this episode...natalie saying "here's what happened", Tim jumping in the ocean 2 get the evidence, that lady at the police station kept interrupting them.
of course, my fav is when monk gave the "big talk"!! a very funny & sweet scene. he can be a great dad!! and i like how they mentioned trudy.

i loved how randy agreed with monk from the start, about who was the killer. and at the end, that was an awesome line: "mm, guilty." :lol:

#48 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:27 PM

Loved it. :)

Julie & her boyfriend & BF saving the evidence in the end.....Yay! Good girl Julie....you made the right choice.

Monk giving Julie "the talk"...Great scene.

Monk & Natalie & the ashes...OMG....ROTFLOL . Monk probably WAS able to tell them all apart!

Randy, The Captain & the TV......too funny

Randy & ...."Mmmmmmm Guilty" PRICELESS. Randy is THE MAN! I want one of those coffee mugs :) LOL

Julie giving Monk a kiss at the end....Natalie not letting Monk wipe it off.....very touching.

Wonderful episode. I was happily entertained. :)

B.
Can't wait for next Friday.

#49 Patcat

Patcat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

I thought it a very sweet and charming show that avoided easy laughs and potential pitfalls. As others noted, the young actress who plays Julie (who's becoming a beautiful young woman) was excellent. The only flaw was that the mystery wasn't much, but this was definitely a case where the mystery wasn't the point of the episode.

Patcat

#50 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

I thought it a very sweet and charming show that avoided easy laughs and potential pitfalls. As others noted, the young actress who plays Julie (who's becoming a beautiful young woman) was excellent. The only flaw was that the mystery wasn't much, but this was definitely a case where the mystery wasn't the point of the episode.

Patcat

I like when they use scenarios that could easily go in a wrong direction and show that they can be done right.

And you're right, Emmy Clarke (Julie) is a really an excellent actress, and she just gets prettier every year in that sweet, girl next door way, which is a blessing when you consider how so many young female 'celebrities' these days seem to grow up way too fast and end up going for a trashy look, aging before their time, and staying squarely in the middle of one scandal or another. Parents of Britney, Paris, Lindsay and Nicole, PAY ATTENTION! It is possible to allow your child to work in the entertainment industry and not end up keeping rehab centers and the National Enquirer in business! Jeez, I'm so sick of hearing about them!

Anyway, Emmy Clark and Tony Shalhoub really do work very well together, I love scenes where Adrian and Julie interact, it's always very natural looking, and there seems to be a gentle teasing kind of thing going on, like my sister and my grandfather had. I still say that Julie knew exactly what she was doing when she bought that card that played the music, and I think she was teasing him a little bit when she asked him how he knew that the level checking level was working right.

Patcat, have you seen Emmy Clarke in My House In Umbria with Maggie Smith? She was so *little* in that movie, and so adorably cute, but she didn't just slide by on cuteness, she played the part extraordinarilly well. Emmy and Maggie Smith stole the show, I don't remember anything else about that movie as much as I remember them.

#51 Alber1690

Alber1690

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

"her boyfriend, Tim, in this episode is a really sweet and cute guy, too!! he looks familiar, somehow..." -Savvykate

OK, so there is also someone else that thinks he looks familiar...
"Success fools people into thinking they can't lose" - Bill Gates

#52 monkplatz

monkplatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

I didn't like the part where they gave Natalie the "Here's how it happened" It isn't just that Natalie got to give the "Here's how it happened" I hated it when they gave that part to Randy in "Mr. Monk goes to a farm" The 'Here's how it happened' to me is reserved for Monk. After all Monk is the main character after all and the topic of the show should revolve around him. Every episode it should be Monk solving the crime doing the "Here's how it happened" Natalie, Julie, Stotlemyer, Randy are supporting characters and are there to support the main character Monk not steal his thunder.

Even though others do the Here's What Happened from time to time, it's still Monk who figures it out. That's what happened in Farm when he fed Randy the information in his sleep, and also in Actor when Randy recounts what Monk said off-camera five minutes earlier. Ditto for MurdeRuss in Rapper. The same is true for Natalie this time. The only way she could have known that Monk had seen Sherman and Dewey together on Julie's T-shirt was if Monk had told her, and she just recounted the whole story to Tim while Monk was out chasing Sherman. I thought her introduction was cute -- and a neat little in-joke. I, too, have been waiting a long time for her to say Here's What Happened. It's only been 44 episodes! And I think she loved it, because as Traylor Howard says, Natalie is a little Nancy Drew.

Andy Breckman and company say they like to keep the Here's What Happened fresh, and having other characters besides Monk do the HWH is just one of the ways. We've seen a drunken HWH (Gets Drunk), an animated/story book HWH (Kid), three HWHs in one episode (Garbage Strike), even two at once (Cabin Fever). And Randy's HWH in Fever is the only one that I recall where Monk didn't have some input (although one of the Sharona episodes might have had one as well).

Edited by monkplatz, 14 August 2007 - 10:48 AM.

#53 TheOddJen

TheOddJen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

"Kids respect landlords. I think it's the keys."

#54 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

I finally saw the episode last night. I loved it! The talk between Julie and Adrian was funny and touching. I really liked what Adrian said about Trudy, it was good to hear him talk about her.
In the urn scene, I kept thinking how could Adrian stand to have human ashes on his hands? He never asked for a wipe.
Why was the captain so ready to believe the guy and not Monk?

#55 Liv

Liv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

I finally saw the episode last night. I loved it! The talk between Julie and Adrian was funny and touching. I really liked what Adrian said about Trudy, it was good to hear him talk about her.
In the urn scene, I kept thinking how could Adrian stand to have human ashes on his hands? He never asked for a wipe.
Why was the captain so ready to believe the guy and not Monk?

I think that at first, the captain admired the guy before Adrian said anything because he had every reason to believe that the guy had killed and intruder who had shot his wife, and that appeals to Stottlemeyer's very protective nature. We've seen his fiercely protective streak over and over again, so protectibe his home and wife (even though it was presumably too late) helped him to relate to the guy, like a kindred spirit. My impression of the scene in the bullpen later wasn't that he was resisting the idea of believing Adrian, more like he was trying to resolve the issue, and playing devil's advocate, which is actually helpful to Adrian in trying to determine what happened and explain everything, because they had to have real, irrefutable proof. They can't really arrest the guy and go before the grand jury with lack of pie or 'Monk is pretty sure he did it, we just aren't sure how or why.' He was offering other perspectives and potential explanations to help rule them out. He can believe Monk all he wants to and most of the time he does, but he has to have more than just his faith in Monk, he has to have proof.

#56 PinkieMONKER

PinkieMONKER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:48 PM

I saw a clip of it, it looked good!! I'm waiting to get it on DVD cause our channels and stuff don't do Monk anymore, i can't wait though because it is so going to be worth the wait, i actually don't mind waiting, well i do, but that can't be helped, but at least i'll be left to watch it alone, on my own, in my room without the noise of my little sisters, or parents on the phone when i try to watch it, they don't watch Monk.. Weirdos. <_<

OH I'M NO ONE'S WIFE BUT OOH I LOVE MY LIFE AND ALL- THAT -JAZZ!!!!

#57 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:23 PM

I see what you mean, Liv. ^_^
I need to see it again (tonight I think) to fully absorb everything!

I like how Adrian makes that little gesture with his fingers when he's telling Julie to please be quiet. Like he did in Makes a Friend, too.

#58 Tilly

Tilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:24 PM

I asked my daughter if she would rather have that particular talk with me or Monk (if we hadn't had it already) and she said that she thought she might prefer Monk, just because she thought it would be highly amusing to traumatise him with questions about specifics.

My daughter has always been a kind of cruel child.

That...would actually be really funny. I like the way she thinks.
GO RODENTS!

Plz 2 send moar schadenfreude. Luv, Tilly.

Still want to know if a tongue transplant is medically feasible. Update: I am beginning to doubt that it is. This makes me sadder than you can imagine.

R.I.P Mr. Kamel

#59 monkrocks12

monkrocks12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

Even though others do the Here's What Happened from time to time, it's still Monk who figures it out. That's what happened in Farm when he fed Randy the information in his sleep, and also in Actor when Randy recounts what Monk said off-camera five minutes earlier. Ditto for MurdeRuss in Rapper. The same is true for Natalie this time. The only way she could have known that Monk had seen Sherman and Dewey together on Julie's T-shirt was if Monk had told her, and she just recounted the whole story to Tim while Monk was out chasing Sherman. I thought her introduction was cute -- and a neat little in-joke. I, too, have been waiting a long time for her to say Here's What Happened. It's only been 44 episodes! And I think she loved it, because as Traylor Howard says, Natalie is a little Nancy Drew.

Andy Breckman and company say they like to keep the Here's What Happened fresh, and having other characters besides Monk do the HWH is just one of the ways. We've seen a drunken HWH (Gets Drunk), an animated/story book HWH (Kid), three HWHs in one episode (Garbage Strike), even two at once (Cabin Fever). And Randy's HWH in Fever is the only one that I recall where Monk didn't have some input (although one of the Sharona episodes might have had one as well).

I have always been quite content with Monk doing the HWH and never got bored with him doing it all the time, but I watched shows like Columbo and Murder She Wrote where the characters Leutenant Columbo and Jessica Fletcher explained everything at the end. Mr. Monk and the Rapper was my least favorite episode of this season because I don't like Rap and besides you couldn't even understand it when MurdeRuss was giving the HWH. I get that you like the character Natalie and the actress who plays her and that is no skin off my nose. I have nothing against the character or the actress. As for Natalie being a little Nancy Drew I have to say little because traylor howard isn't tall slender with saphire blue eyes wearing stylish clothes and driving a convertible. Natalie is fine but the show was funnier and had more sparkle when Bitty Shram (sp) was on it. The way Sharona and Monk would argue was hilarious. Sharona was streetsmart and feisty. Natalie is too mellow.
Avid Psych and Shules fan since 2006.

#60 williamgeorgemic

williamgeorgemic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

The Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) is a goose belonging to the genus Branta native to North America. It is sometimes called 'Canadian Goose', although that is not considered to be strictly correct according to the American Ornithological Union and the Audubon Society. The black head and neck with white "chinstrap" distinguish the Canada Goose from all other goose.
------------------------
williamgeorgemic
Search Engine Submissions

Edited by williamgeorgemic, 25 July 2008 - 01:22 AM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved