• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 chipe

chipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

Question: why did the bomber want to kill the driver (in the hospital)? Wasn't he asleep when the bomb was placed under the car? What could the driver say to incriminate anyone? (Incidentally, I was also appalled that the police had no guard for the driver's hospital room.)

#62 likeadrian

likeadrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

I didn't think this episode was that bad, hardly the worst episode..I did like last week's more, though. I think the upcoming episode will be great. :) I am also hoping they go back to the original theme song because the rapped version wasn't the same..I was wondering why Monk was shaking all of the guys' hands without using a wipe, but then when they told why, I remembered and it all made sense. Natalie was kind of getting on my nerves in this episode. :P
Monk: You know, I'm tired of all these chess metaphors, Patrick. These were two real people, not chess pieces. I think they deserve a little more respect. Although if you insist, checkmate.

#63 luvinmonk

luvinmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

I couldn't understand most of what Snoop was saying in the rap explaining the crime. Maybe some brave soul could transcribe it but soon I'll just rewatch it. Why was it necessary to mention the Sunday brunch also when Daylight Savings Time would have explained it enough? I could be wrong.

What was Hodges's motive supposed to be?

Can you believe Snoop was named after the dog Snoopy? I doubt Charles M. Schulz would like Snoop's songs.

Robert, this is just my two cents worth :) but I think the importance of the Sunday brunch was to illustrate that he knew that the partner would be dead and there was no need to order his regular meal as he always did before.

Xlarge was not the intended victim of the bomb (it was the man that the killer should have ordered the brunch for but didn't) it was because of the one hour time change that the killer forgot about that Xlarge ended up dead. Because his partner had just gotten out of the limo shortly before Xlarge got in to it, which if the watch that he used to blow up the bomb was set to the right time it would have gone off while his partner was still in the limo before Xlarge ever had the chance to get in it.

The motive was because he didn't want to share the money I think.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the Here's what happened because he was mumbling and I couldn't understand much of it either.

If I am mistaken with my idea of what happened some one please explain it better for me and Robert. :)

#64 bigkitty_4

bigkitty_4

psych fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Rap is a hard music to listen to. Real rap stars have been murdered: Tupac and Biggie Smalls to name a few. So when, EXXLarge was killed in a car bomb; I didn't know how Monk was going to deal with that because of Trudy. I thought Hodges killed his meal ticket because unfortunely Tupac and Biggie made more money when they die than they were alive. When it was reveal, it was a mistake and Hodges forgot about daylight savings time and wanted his partner dead because he didn't order him Captain Crunch as in Snoop Dog's rap, I was like dang how did I miss that. I didn't hate this episode or love this episode. I put it in the middle. Last week's episode was way funnier than this one.
"McNabb, hold back the Wonder Twins!"

"Somebody forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning."

#65 monkchik693

monkchik693

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

Rap is a hard music to listen to. Real rap stars have been murdered: Tupac and Biggie Smalls to name a few. So when, EXXLarge was killed in a car bomb; I didn't know how Monk was going to deal with that because of Trudy.

Oh crap! That just made me think of something!! What if Hodges killed Trudy??? Probably didn't happen. But, maybe....

!chik!

"Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."

#66 RedHeadedStranger

RedHeadedStranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Well if I've learned one thing here today, it is that alot of people don't like change.

From my standpoint and only having become an obsessive fan during the 5th season, I don't know every single detail of every show and I don't even think I've seen every episode yet. (haha!) I don't think that just because Snoop Dog was the guest star and that he sings rap music and that the theme song was changed just for this one episode is something to get too upset about. Can't we have variety? I don't think that having Monk do things out of the ordinary (for him) is something to get upset about. I mean people change, people do get better, can't he have any progression?

I love watching every episode, they're all interesting to me. Maybe it's because I don't know them all and I'm seeing them all jumbled up with the marathons and DVD's and Sharona here and Natalie there. I'm looking forward to the whole 6th season and will try not to analyze it and just watch and enjoy the show, after all there aren't many these days! And I've come to love Tony Shalhoub as an actor. That's all. Word. B)
"Do you smell that?" "...uh, no I don't and you don't either."

#67 OwlCreekObserver

OwlCreekObserver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan of Monk from the first episode.

I guess that's why it really bugs me that Friday's episode -- Mr. Monk And The Rapper -- was such pure, unadulterated, crap. There, I said the word and I'm glad. One more show that's "down" (not in a good way) to that level, and I'll have to break out the cards and start playing solitaire on Friday nights for entertainment.

What made Monk so interesting from the very beginning was his strong emotional attachment to his late wife Trudy. The writers managed to work her (or her memory) into enough episodes to reinforce the fact that many of Monk's odd traits were made far worse by her death. Without her, he was virtually helpless and that helplessness endeared him to a lot of viewers. I think the single most touching scene was the one where we learned why his coffee table was the only thing out of alignment in his house; that's the way Trudy left it.

Now they've pretty well killed off Trudy for good and made Monk just another slapstick character. As too often happens, the search for fresh script ideas leads writers away from what made them successful in the first place. I'm afraid that may be what's happening here.

OCO

#68 lovethatmonk

lovethatmonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:13 PM

I am in agreement that this was not the "best" episode of Monk but it still had some good parts. I liked how Natalie said "he's the guy". Made me think it was a mistake...I do like that once in a while that opinions can differ but please can we do it with very little hostility. Remember that this is a TV show and not the end of the world! Peace out.... :rolleyes:

#69 Teresa1643

Teresa1643

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

Now they've pretty well killed off Trudy for good and made Monk just another slapstick character. As too often happens, the search for fresh script ideas leads writers away from what made them successful in the first place. I'm afraid that may be what's happening here.

OCO

They have not forgotten Trudy. An upcoming season six script will deal with her murder. Which is not to say they'll solve it in that particular episode.

TV Guide article in which it's mentioned.
This article contains spoilers.

I think Tony Shalhoub's given the character more than enough depth to rise above anything that could be characterized as slapstick, which you're apparently giving a much broader definition than it actually has. I take it you mean purely comic. However, for me Tony's performance always has that edginess that prevents a one dimensional interpertation no matter how weak the material might be.

Edited by Teresa1643, 22 July 2007 - 02:56 PM.

<i> I can't debate you if you talk gibberish that sounds kind of like something a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins would say.</i>

#70 AliceCooper

AliceCooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

Question: why did the bomber want to kill the driver (in the hospital)? Wasn't he asleep when the bomb was placed under the car? What could the driver say to incriminate anyone? (Incidentally, I was also appalled that the police had no guard for the driver's hospital room.)

The bomber wanted to kill the driver because he could identify him. During the "Here's what happened" they showed the driver waking up in time to see Hodges (in the sideview mirror) run away after planting the bomb in the wheel well. Once he woke in the hospital he could incriminate Hodges for the murder. Since the prime suspect was already identified (and supposedly under surveillance) the police probably felt no need to post a guard on the hospital room. Anyone can enter a hospital without being searched or IDd. Since MurderRuss was not yet charged but under suspicion no one would believe he would kill again.
There's a bee in the car!

#71 ladymahogany

ladymahogany

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

I don't think that just because Snoop Dog was the guest star and that he sings rap music and that the theme song was changed just for this one episode is something to get too upset about. Can't we have variety? I don't think that having Monk do things out of the ordinary (for him) is something to get upset about. I mean people change, people do get better, can't he have any progression?

I could not agree more with your post. I thought the episode was clever and interesting. I don't listen to his music or anything, but I liked Snoop as a guest star and I thought Monk's interactions with him were histerical. I laughed out loud when Monk was talking about how "screwed" he was and when he was so relieved that he didn't "black out" and accept the position as Murderous' bodyguard/assistant on tour. :D I hope the writers keep spicing things up, because watching the same old thing gets boring after a while.

I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan of Monk from the first episode.

I guess that's why it really bugs me that Friday's episode -- Mr. Monk And The Rapper -- was such pure, unadulterated, crap. There, I said the word and I'm glad. One more show that's "down" (not in a good way) to that level, and I'll have to break out the cards and start playing solitaire on Friday nights for entertainment.

What made Monk so interesting from the very beginning was his strong emotional attachment to his late wife Trudy. The writers managed to work her (or her memory) into enough episodes to reinforce the fact that many of Monk's odd traits were made far worse by her death. Without her, he was virtually helpless and that helplessness endeared him to a lot of viewers.

Wow. If the only reason you were interested in/endeared to Monk was because of the Trudy storyline, I am surprised you haven't broken out the cards a whole lot sooner. While her influence on him was an important part of the show, she is not the main focus by any stretch of the imagination. I am sure that by the end of the series that storyline will be put to rest. However, my favorite characteristic about Monk is the fact that he has PROGRESSED through the years. Even though he still is very OCD and doesn't live what I would consider a normal life, I am pleased that he has grown over the course of the storylines. He has Natalie and her daughter Julie to thank for some of that growth, and I would find the show utterly ridiculous if Monk had been in therapy all those years and hadn't changed at all. I can't remember which episode it was, but I remember when Dr. Kroger and Monk were talking about him making improvement and later (like at the very end of the episode) he bragged to Natalie about how he was no longer on Square 1 like Harold. That kind of stuff endears me to him more than him always suffering and being in emotional/mental anguish because I can be happy for him. I like watching him solve the crimes and exposing the details that my less observant mind missed. I enjoy seeing him interact with different guest stars that are entertaining in their own right, but also emphasize details about Monk's personality that I had not seen before. I'm sorry you don't enjoy this, but all I can recommend is getting some old seasons on DVD because I hope the writers continue with their current direction.

#72 monkplatz

monkplatz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Actually Trudy *was* in this episode.

Tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . tick . . . car bomb!

Remember? Monk tensed up and Stottlemeyer asked him if he was okay. We don't usually see Monk investigating car bombings.

Edited by monkplatz, 22 July 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#73 monkchik693

monkchik693

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well if I've learned one thing here today, it is that alot of people don't like change.

From my standpoint and only having become an obsessive fan during the 5th season, I don't know every single detail of every show and I don't even think I've seen every episode yet. (haha!) I don't think that just because Snoop Dog was the guest star and that he sings rap music and that the theme song was changed just for this one episode is something to get too upset about. Can't we have variety? I don't think that having Monk do things out of the ordinary (for him) is something to get upset about. I mean people change, people do get better, can't he have any progression?

Mm-hmm. EXACTLY! Clue hug!!! :P

I couldn't agree more with that, I mean, it was just for this episode. Perhaps next week's should be a little bit better for the unappreciative fans. However, I don't think I'll watch it. I'm only a teenager and I think watching nudie shows with parents would be very embarassing. :rolleyes:

!chik!

#74 lioncage

lioncage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

May I ask a question of you guys?

Why did Hodges set up Murderous in the first place if he was planning on killing his partner all along? I mean, I understand setting up Murderous to kill Extra Large, but why use the watch to set off the bomb if he didn't want to kill Extra Large? I could see trying to frame him AFTER he killed the rapper by mistake, but he definitely wanted to frame Murderous BEFORE killing the wrong guy.

This was the biggest plot hole imo. I enjoyed the episode overall, but this plot point is kinda bugging me. Maybe you guys got something I didn't.

The story would have worked for me if Hodges had meant to kill off Extra Large... like maybe to sell more records for him AND the rest of his signed talent. They could've had the lesser known rappers sing at his memorial and use that to publicize them - thus selling more albums and getting paid less than Extra Large.

I dunno... didn't make sense to me.

#75 Beholder

Beholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:00 AM

:angry: :angry: :angry: First of all that SUCKED. That was the worst show i have ever watched. I give that show a -8.
I am a BIG monk fan and have seen every episode, and i could not believe what they did to that show. that theme song better be for that one episode, and why did the camera cut out when monk said "heres what happened" that episode was a WAIST OF MY TIME!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Waste.

B.

#76 olandir

olandir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

I'm not new to the USA forums but new to this one. I'm also not new to monk, I've been watching the show since it came on (all episodes, even watched them when it was in re-runs)

WOW...

I read somewhere that monk fans were really particular about the whole monk theme song thing but I actually got to see this in action. People are REALLY protective of the theme song!!!! I mean a lot of people in this thread, that was the first thing they commented negatively on! "OMG they changed the theme song... how dare they." Again I say Wow. I read that it was a big deal when they changed from the Jeff Beal/Grant Geissman theme song to the Randy Newman one and now this.

For what it's worth, I'm sure the change in theme song was just for this episode because of the plot of the episode. It's been playing in commericials too. Also (and this is just my own opinion), I wouldn't think twice about them changing it. 1) it's just a theme song and 2) it's kinda fun. But hey, I guess I don't understand the importance of the theme song to the show as a whole :).

I thought the episode was great. I pretty much love all Monk episode. I did notice that it was a little light on the detective work on Monk's end but I guess I just got caught up in Monk's reaction to what he had commited himself too. Also, thanks to whoever pointed out that these blackouts aren't new (just new for Natalie).

I liked the end where Snoop Dog rapped the "here's what happened" part... I mean I basically liked the whole thing... I thought the fact that it was "different" made it good. I mean I know the show follows a formula that we are familiar with, but sometimes an occassional break to the formula is good too. That way the show doesn't get stale.

On a side note, I don't really go for rap or Snoop Dog, so my opinion of the episode is not based on my liking the guest star. I also thought the whole "This is a celebration" rap that guy was doing before they arrested the manager was about the LEAST CREATIVE song lyrics EVER!!! LOL ... all he said was "this is a celebration" over and over again. My 7 year old niece could write better lyrics.

All and all, I thought this episode, along with the last one, were great episodes for Natalie as well, re-inforcing her importance to the show and to Monk.

Edited by olandir, 23 July 2007 - 12:35 AM.

#77 olandir

olandir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:33 AM

May I ask a question of you guys?

Why did Hodges set up Murderous in the first place if he was planning on killing his partner all along? I mean, I understand setting up Murderous to kill Extra Large, but why use the watch to set off the bomb if he didn't want to kill Extra Large? I could see trying to frame him AFTER he killed the rapper by mistake, but he definitely wanted to frame Murderous BEFORE killing the wrong guy.

This was the biggest plot hole imo. I enjoyed the episode overall, but this plot point is kinda bugging me. Maybe you guys got something I didn't.

The story would have worked for me if Hodges had meant to kill off Extra Large... like maybe to sell more records for him AND the rest of his signed talent. They could've had the lesser known rappers sing at his memorial and use that to publicize them - thus selling more albums and getting paid less than Extra Large.

I dunno... didn't make sense to me.

Because Murderous was just easy to setup... the whole car bomb song, the fact that he's seen as a loose cannon and a thug.

He could have set him up as the person who killed his partner becuase he was associated with Extra Large, or as someone else pointed out, it may have been assumed the EL was the target. Either way, it would have been very easy to frame him because so many people were willing to believe he would do it.

#78 Teresa1643

Teresa1643

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:29 AM

I couldn't understand most of what Snoop was saying in the rap explaining the crime. Maybe some brave soul could transcribe it but soon I'll just rewatch it.

I've transcribed the "Here's What Happened" Rap. I didn't have too much trouble understanding him. I got most of it on the first viewing and the rest of it during my second, closed caption viewing. A couple of lines that made it into the closed caption, but not into the actual rap are revealing. It goes like this:

Here's what happened, y'all
I got this, Monk

Yeah, you can't believe
what you hear all the time
Sometimes seeing is believing
Like the man said, I was set up
I'm just a pawn in this game
Let me break it down for y'all
No, for real here's what happened

Have you ever been accused?
Man you got set up
And it really wasn't you?
Man you got set up
Tryin’ to plant somethin’ on me
Man you got set up
And then you say I killed the homey

This fool was greedy
Had to have the whole thing
Let me run it down to you
It's a cold game

He wanted more than half of the pie
That's why his partner had to die
You heard me
You was the target all along
Am I right or am I wrong?

Monk: You're making a lot of excellent points. He is.

Every week they had a breakfast date
Captain Crunch, French toast, or a stack of pancakes
But this week they wasn't servin’ nothin'
But murder on the plate

(In close captions, but not in the rap as broadcast:
The limo driver must have
caught a glimpse of Denny Hodges
As he fled the scene, Homes.)

He wanted to pin it on me like a purple heart
But his perfect plan just fell apart
‘Cause like Aaron Burr who was tried for treason
You made a mistake, Dog, forgot about the season

There was a fatal flaw to the perfect crime
You see Sunday was daylight savings time
Twice a year we reset the clock ahead one hour,
But I guess you forgot

You're partner showed up to break some bread
What he found was an empty table instead
You didn't order room service
Because you thought the homey whitey was dead

Extra Large ran out of luck
When the limo came by and picked him up
The pocket watch up under the car
The trigger went boom and there went Extra Large

Have you ever been accused?
Man you got set up
And it really wasn't you?
Man you got set up
Tryin' to plant somethin' on me
Man you got set up
And then you say I killed the homey

I went to the source and found a great detective
I told Adrian Monk to follow my direction
He solved the case
and he rocked it well
Next stop for you Denny Hodges
Is a Death Row jail cell
<i> I can't debate you if you talk gibberish that sounds kind of like something a chimney sweep from Mary Poppins would say.</i>

#79 monkchik693

monkchik693

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

I agree with what olandir said about the theme songs. I doubt they're making it permananent. And even if they do, I've heard people saying they'll quit watching Monk if they hear Snoop's version of the theme again. HELLO! Do people honestly watch TV show's just for the theme song? I mean, there's no law that says you can't mute it during the theme song part. :blink:

!chik!

#80 RedHeadedStranger

RedHeadedStranger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Mm-hmm. EXACTLY! Clue hug!!! :P

I couldn't agree more with that, I mean, it was just for this episode. Perhaps next week's should be a little bit better for the unappreciative fans. However, I don't think I'll watch it. I'm only a teenager and I think watching nudie shows with parents would be very embarassing. :rolleyes:

!chik!

And a clue hug right back at ya'!... Hey, couldn't you just kick the parents out of the house for one hour? ;)

And thanks for the "rap sheet" teresa! It's a little easier this way! :)

Edited by RedHeadedStranger, 23 July 2007 - 12:11 PM.

"Do you smell that?" "...uh, no I don't and you don't either."

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved