25 replies to this topic

#1 TIMEtoPLAYtheGAME21

TIMEtoPLAYtheGAME21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

Orton, other wrestlers linked to probe of pharmacy
Eleven professional wrestlers, including the WWE's Randy Orton, have joined the list of athletes linked to a nationwide steroids investigation.

Notable names linked to scandal MLB
Gary Matthews Jr.
Jose Canseco
John Rocker
Jerry Hairston Jr.
David Bell
Boxing
Evander Holyfield

NFL
Richard Rydze (Steelers doctor)

Bodybuilding
Victor Martinez

Pro wrestling
Kurt Angle
Randy Orton
Adam Copeland (Edge)
Shane Helms (The Hurricane)
Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Mysterio)
Eddie Guerrero*

*Died in 2005

SI.com reported Monday that Orton allegedly received eight prescriptions for six different drugs -- including stanozolol, nandrolone and testosterone -- between March 2004 and August 2004. According to the documents SI.com reviewed, two doctors whose names also appear in Gary Matthews Jr.'s file wrote prescriptions for Orton.

Orton, through the WWE, declined comment, SI.com said.

In its review of documents, SI.com reported it found Adam Copeland, a.k.a. "Edge," and Shane Helms, a.k.a. "The Hurricane," received HGH from Applied Pharmacy in Mobile, Ala., one of the pharmacies raided in the investigation led by Albany, N.Y., District Attorney David Soares.

Through the WWE, Copeland and Helms didn't respond to a request for comment, SI.com said.

WWE spokesman Gary Davis told SI.com that WWE policy prohibits performance-enhancing drugs but would not say whether any wrestlers have tested positive since the policy was enacted.

Also linked to the scandal, in various reports, are baseball's Jose Canseco, John Rocker, Jerry Hairston Jr. and David Bell, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, Pittsburgh Steelers doctor Richard Rydze, 1996 Olympic wrestling gold medalist Kurt Angle and bodybuilder Victor Martinez.

Monday, SI.com also reported Arizona doctor David Wilbirt's name has come up in multiple files, including those of Angle, Oscar Gutierrez (stage name Rey Mysterio) and former WWE star Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

Through the WWE, Gutierrez declined comment to SI.com about the report that Wilbirt had prescribed him nandrolone and stanozolol.

Wilbirt told SI.com he's not practicing medicine now.

"I'll tell you one thing and then this conversation is going to end," Wilbirt told SI.com when asked about the professional wrestlers. "They had done blood work and had laboratory work done and they had come to see me."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Always good pub. before Mania! We all know steroids exist in wrestling but I'm a little suprised to see Rey Rey's name out there. Maybe just me.

#2 cenasnumber1fan

cenasnumber1fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

Orton, other wrestlers linked to probe of pharmacy
Eleven professional wrestlers, including the WWE's Randy Orton, have joined the list of athletes linked to a nationwide steroids investigation.

Notable names linked to scandal MLB
Gary Matthews Jr.
Jose Canseco
John Rocker
Jerry Hairston Jr.
David Bell
Boxing
Evander Holyfield

NFL
Richard Rydze (Steelers doctor)

Bodybuilding
Victor Martinez

Pro wrestling
Kurt Angle
Randy Orton
Adam Copeland (Edge)
Shane Helms (The Hurricane)
Oscar Gutierrez (Rey Mysterio)
Eddie Guerrero*

*Died in 2005

SI.com reported Monday that Orton allegedly received eight prescriptions for six different drugs -- including stanozolol, nandrolone and testosterone -- between March 2004 and August 2004. According to the documents SI.com reviewed, two doctors whose names also appear in Gary Matthews Jr.'s file wrote prescriptions for Orton.

Orton, through the WWE, declined comment, SI.com said.

In its review of documents, SI.com reported it found Adam Copeland, a.k.a. "Edge," and Shane Helms, a.k.a. "The Hurricane," received HGH from Applied Pharmacy in Mobile, Ala., one of the pharmacies raided in the investigation led by Albany, N.Y., District Attorney David Soares.

Through the WWE, Copeland and Helms didn't respond to a request for comment, SI.com said.

WWE spokesman Gary Davis told SI.com that WWE policy prohibits performance-enhancing drugs but would not say whether any wrestlers have tested positive since the policy was enacted.

Also linked to the scandal, in various reports, are baseball's Jose Canseco, John Rocker, Jerry Hairston Jr. and David Bell, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, Pittsburgh Steelers doctor Richard Rydze, 1996 Olympic wrestling gold medalist Kurt Angle and bodybuilder Victor Martinez.

Monday, SI.com also reported Arizona doctor David Wilbirt's name has come up in multiple files, including those of Angle, Oscar Gutierrez (stage name Rey Mysterio) and former WWE star Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

Through the WWE, Gutierrez declined comment to SI.com about the report that Wilbirt had prescribed him nandrolone and stanozolol.

Wilbirt told SI.com he's not practicing medicine now.

"I'll tell you one thing and then this conversation is going to end," Wilbirt told SI.com when asked about the professional wrestlers. "They had done blood work and had laboratory work done and they had come to see me."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Always good pub. before Mania! We all know steroids exist in wrestling but I'm a little suprised to see Rey Rey's name out there. Maybe just me.

I'm sure there not taking steroid's.If they were they would either be suspended or fired.

#3 Axl

Axl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Who cares about wrestlers using steroids?

It's fake, it isn't like they're getting an advantage like in REAL sports.

If they want to mess their body up in the hopes of being the best... it's their lives & their careers they destroy.

Now real sports... different story. 'Roids allow baseball batters to get better bat speed which means more home runs, it allows pitchers to get more velocity on their balls, and in football it provides almost supernatural strength to a defensive-line.

Wresting = entertainment/a TV show
Don't F!?*@ With The Bad Side Of Me

#4 Cena88

Cena88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

If they want to mess their body up in the hopes of being the best... it's their lives & their careers they destroy.

Now real sports... different story. 'Roids allow baseball batters to get better bat speed which means more home runs, it allows pitchers to get more velocity on their balls, and in football it provides almost supernatural strength to a defensive-line.

well said its not like its a real sport their using them in

#5 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

Is anybody surprised by this? maybe rey rey but Edge, Orton, Kurt Angle etc. I don't really care. Its not like they are really cheating. Thing i have to say is who really cares? Plus they didn't mention chrs masters and mercury who both wen't to rehab for abusing steroids.
"They tell me I'm a sexual Jedi."

#6 wwegirl

wwegirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

many of the superstars have to use them cuz of injurys. Others may use them for no reason. I don't really care if they use them anyway...it is their body...they can do as they please...As Axl said...it might be used for the entertainment value....to make them look stronger/bigger etc..

#7 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

many of the superstars have to use them cuz of injurys. Others may use them for no reason. I don't really care if they use them anyway...it is their body...they can do as they please...As Axl said...it might be used for the entertainment value....to make them look stronger/bigger etc..

I could really care. i could see edge taking them because he looked like he lost weight.

#8 TIMEtoPLAYtheGAME21

TIMEtoPLAYtheGAME21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

There was an interesting interview on ESPN radio during the Dan Patrick Show. He had on Diamond Dallas Page who admitted to using steroids. Said wrestlers feel pressure from fans to look like superheroes (he kind of sounded like he was blaming the fans for steroid abuse in wrestling). Said some don't have to use it b/c being big is not part of their gimmick. Patrick asked him if he thinks McMahon uses steroids, Page laughed and said he is not touching that one. Pretty interersting stuff.

#9 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

There was an interesting interview on ESPN radio during the Dan Patrick Show. He had on Diamond Dallas Page who admitted to using steroids. Said wrestlers feel pressure from fans to look like superheroes (he kind of sounded like he was blaming the fans for steroid abuse in wrestling). Said some don't have to use it b/c being big is not part of their gimmick. Patrick asked him if he thinks McMahon uses steroids, Page laughed and said he is not touching that one. Pretty interersting stuff.

Vince has to use steroids. The wrestlers shouldn't blame us because i could really care how big they are i just want great matches.

#10 Axl

Axl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

DDP is full of crap.

Fans love wrestlers that are small & can do aerobatics usually MORE than the big guys.

Although back in the mid-90's, HBK was linked to steroid abuse, look at him now. He's a normal-sized guy, and fans love him.

#11 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

DDP is full of crap.

Fans love wrestlers that are small & can do aerobatics usually MORE than the big guys.

Although back in the mid-90's, HBK was linked to steroid abuse, look at him now. He's a normal-sized guy, and fans love him.

I have to say i agree with you. Ask most people who they would rather see Rey Mysterio or Batista and Rey Rey would win no contest.

#12 krsimpson

krsimpson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I question DDP's credibility, Vince ruined his character into a creepy stalker.. he's basically no more then a washup wcw has-been trying to get publicity..

And pardon me, but since when does ESPN care anything about professional wrestling?

#13 Axl

Axl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

ESPN already had a vested interest in this story, because of the link between baseball players Gary Matthews, Jr. & Jerry Hairston, Jr.

When it was exposed, some big name wrestlers came out too, and they decided to report it.

Rarely does ESPN ever talk about wrestling. They did show Cena FU K-Fed awhile back though on SportsCenter, and they did show Cena winning the title at WM last year.

I remember years ago they used to show every thing Austin did for awhile.

Maybe McMahon has a limited deal with them or something.

#14 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

ESPN already had a vested interest in this story, because of the link between baseball players Gary Matthews, Jr. & Jerry Hairston, Jr.

When it was exposed, some big name wrestlers came out too, and they decided to report it.

Rarely does ESPN ever talk about wrestling. They did show Cena FU K-Fed awhile back though on SportsCenter, and they did show Cena winning the title at WM last year.

I remember years ago they used to show every thing Austin did for awhile.

Maybe McMahon has a limited deal with them or something.

I remember when they would run commercials on ESPN with some wrestlers.

#15 krsimpson

krsimpson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

I think ESPN in general is branching out and potentially trying to gain more viewers instead of just the typical hardcore sports guy, especially with them getting the NASCAR tv contracts..

Edited by krsimpson, 23 March 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#16 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

I think ESPN in general is branching out and potentially trying to gain more viewers instead of just the typical hardcore sports guy, especially with them getting the NASCAR tv contracts..

I enjoy watching ESPN.

#17 wwegirl

wwegirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

I enjoy watching ESPN.

ocassionally I watch some ESPN...;)

#18 Slash

Slash

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

ocassionally I watch some ESPN...;)

Sports Center and PTI are the two shows i watch the most.

#19 krsimpson

krsimpson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

Sports Center and PTI are the two shows i watch the most.

1st And 10 is a great show, along with Around The Horn.. But obviously there is no sports show like Sportscenter.. Oh and World Series of Poker can be entertaining too, atleast when Mike Matusow is playing with Daniel Negreanu or Phil Hellmuth..

Edited by krsimpson, 24 March 2007 - 12:25 AM.

#20 Axl

Axl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

I ALWAYS watch ESPN. ALWAYS.

Usually watch Cold Pizza in the morning, and almost daily I watch Romey, ATH, PTI, & SportsCenter. And in baseball-season, I watch Baseball Tonight, daily.

Edited by Axl, 24 March 2007 - 04:32 PM.

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved