• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SwimHurl

SwimHurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

I just watched some season 1 episodes (the one called Russian Love Poem) and I'm unclear on why Det Brian Cassidy was transferred out of SVU abruptly onthat episode?

I know he had a crush on Olivia but there seemed to be something else that shook him up in Cragens office...or was the real reason he wanted to leave to get away from Benson? I don't get it. Plus, guys are suppossed to love one night stands without strings...seems wierd that they portray him to be boyish and sissyfied when it comes to handling women yet a tough guy when it comes to dealing with street thugs.

Edited by SwimHurl, 18 March 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#2 BensonFanatic

BensonFanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

I just watched some season 1 episodes (the one called Russian Love Poem) and I'm unclear on why Det Brian Cassidy was transferred out of SVU abruptly onthat episode?

I know he had a crush on Olivia but there seemed to be something else that shook him up in Cragens office...or was the real reason he wanted to leave to get away from Benson? I don't get it. Plus, guys are suppossed to love one night stands without strings...seems wierd that they portray him to be boyish and sissyfied when it comes to handling women yet a tough guy when it comes to dealing with street thugs.

yeah, but you also gotta take into consideration that he's younger than Benson, and still somewhat immature....It wasn't sissy at all in my mind....
Okay, The main reason that they addressed as to why Cassidy left:
I don't remember what eppy it was in, but one eppy Cragen pulled him into his office and asked him for a favor. That favor was to check up on a girl he knew from Homicde. She had called Cragen, and in turn, Cragen wanted Cassidy, someone 'cool' to check up on her.
Well, when Cassidy came back, he was REAL shooken up. He began to tell Cragen what the girl told him, which was (vaguely) that the girl had liked this guy named Vince from the hood. They went on a date, and after Vince 'did her' his friends wolf-packed her. She was left in nothing but a beach towel, unable to walk, when this 'upstanding citizen' saw her, and asked her if she needed help. She said yes, and as Cassidy was going to explain what happened next, Cragen cut him off. Throughout the explanation, Cassidy had been fighting back tears.
Cragen told Cassidy that Benson and Stabler could handle it from there, and Cassidy objected. Cragen the suggested that Cassidy transfer to the Narc-o squad, seeing how difficult the whole ordeal was for him. Lastly, we see Cassidy cleaning out his locker when Munch comes up, and Cassidy explains that he's leaving. On a last note, he tells Munch that it was too much, and that he still feels embarased buying 'rubbers' @ the drug store.

I hope that helps...

p.s. maybe in the furture, questions like this could be addressed in the "Eppy questions" thread? Just an idea....
9 Attagirls * I've missed you guys!*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---E/O shipper 4 life---
There are special people who touch our lives in a certain way, and having known them, we will never be the same. ~ Unknown~

#3 SwimHurl

SwimHurl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

yeah, but you also gotta take into consideration that he's younger than Benson, and still somewhat immature....It wasn't sissy at all in my mind....
Okay, The main reason that they addressed as to why Cassidy left:
I don't remember what eppy it was in, but one eppy Cragen pulled him into his office and asked him for a favor. That favor was to check up on a girl he knew from Homicde. She had called Cragen, and in turn, Cragen wanted Cassidy, someone 'cool' to check up on her.
Well, when Cassidy came back, he was REAL shooken up. He began to tell Cragen what the girl told him, which was (vaguely) that the girl had liked this guy named Vince from the hood. They went on a date, and after Vince 'did her' his friends wolf-packed her. She was left in nothing but a beach towel, unable to walk, when this 'upstanding citizen' saw her, and asked her if she needed help. She said yes, and as Cassidy was going to explain what happened next, Cragen cut him off. Throughout the explanation, Cassidy had been fighting back tears.
Cragen told Cassidy that Benson and Stabler could handle it from there, and Cassidy objected. Cragen the suggested that Cassidy transfer to the Narc-o squad, seeing how difficult the whole ordeal was for him. Lastly, we see Cassidy cleaning out his locker when Munch comes up, and Cassidy explains that he's leaving. On a last note, he tells Munch that it was too much, and that he still feels embarased buying 'rubbers' @ the drug store.

I hope that helps...

p.s. maybe in the furture, questions like this could be addressed in the "Eppy questions" thread? Just an idea....

In real life, Cassidy being "cool" would not have let himself look more vulnerable then Benson. HES THE frackING MAN!!! Why the show makes him look like a tough guy one episode (slamming perps and taking no prisoners) then turns him into a crying baby is beyond me.

#4 stablersfan

stablersfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

i dont know what it is but i love this guy. he is such a great actor. but every shoe i start watching with him on it he leaves. he left svu and then joined rescue Me with denis Leary and was killed off in the thirs season. ahhh, it kills me, why cant he just stay on a show dang it.

Jack Sparrow: "nobody move!! I've lost my brain"
(Pirates: At World's End)

House: "what are those?"
Dr. Cameron: " there candy canes."
House: " Candy canes. are you mocking me?"
(House M.D.)

Chief Jerry Reilly: [watching Sean Garrity and Probie playing Scrabble] Look at this - a meeting of the minds and the minds are a no-show.
(Rescue Me)

The Entertainers: Belz_da_man,Nasha,Stablersfan,Sharrie15,and marchriska4life

#5 BensonFanatic

BensonFanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

Stablersfan--ahahah lol i know! But....Jimmy Keefe (James McCaffrey) is still on, and he's dead....we can only hope the same goes for johnny (Dean Winters)....I love Dean Winters as well...i dunno what it is, but i would have really liked him being on still....He's a great actor.
SwimHurl---Now, the 'cool' was not to make him seem tough, Cragen wanted someone 'cool' to talk to the girl. Someone who's younger. who knows what's current if you will....
Now, about the whole 'man' situation, I don't care if he's a man a woman, or a cat. HE'S YOUNG
He can be tough when it comes to criminals, or slamming ppl into car hoods, but that doesn't necessarily make him emotionaly tough! Benson is older than he is, she just wanted a one night stand. He is young, and wanted more than just a one night stand.....Men are allowed to want a relationship while the woman just wants well, lets be frank, sex......
Women are always portrayed as young, and clingly. Men can be clingy too!
Take stabler for instance...He can beat a guy to a pulp, but put him in a room w/ 10 dead children, one wearing the same pajama's as his daughter has, and he'll shed a tear!
(I belive) The reason why they showed him being tough in one eppy, and 'crying like a little baby' in the next, was to show how he wasn't equiped to handle sex crimes. Did you see his face in "Payback" ? You could tell there that the whole thing w/ the restaurant owner shoving a knife in her leg was effected him more than, say Munch. Whatever eppy it was, (i think it was Hysteria) where @ the begining he was in court, he had extream difficulty saying in open court, what the guy did to the dead woman! I think that they (the writers) knew right from the start that Cassidy wasn't ganna be permanent.

---E/O shipper 4 life---
There are special people who touch our lives in a certain way, and having known them, we will never be the same. ~ Unknown~

#6 stablersfan

stablersfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:07 PM

oh my gosh, someone else who eatches Rescue Me. i think i am going to faint. no one i know has even heard of it. but then again i love Denis Leary (we share a bday too!) so that might be why i know of the show.

(House M.D.)

Chief Jerry Reilly: [watching Sean Garrity and Probie playing Scrabble] Look at this - a meeting of the minds and the minds are a no-show.
(Rescue Me)

#7 BensonFanatic

BensonFanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

oh my gosh, someone else who eatches Rescue Me. i think i am going to faint. no one i know has even heard of it. but then again i love Denis Leary (we share a bday too!) so that might be why i know of the show.

omg, i think I'M ganna faint! LOL yea, i love rescue me....
and i LOVE denis leary too. I can't wait for the new season...

---E/O shipper 4 life---

#8 MrsJeter

MrsJeter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:25 AM

Are you kidding, I love Resue Me! Especially Tommy's "candid" conversations with Jesus
I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee Joe DiMaggio

#9 stablersfan

stablersfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Are you kidding, I love Resue Me! Especially Tommy's "candid" conversations with Jesus

wooooooow!!!!!!

there are three of us in the world now who watch Rescue Me. oh man, and they say the internet is useless for meeting people, ha. lol

who is your favorite character/ besides Tommy. mine had to be garady!! he is so funny

(House M.D.)

(Rescue Me)

#10 BensonFanatic

BensonFanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

wooooooow!!!!!!

there are three of us in the world now who watch Rescue Me. oh man, and they say the internet is useless for meeting people, ha. lol

who is your favorite character/ besides Tommy. mine had to be garady!! he is so funny

there is actually someone on the CI board that watches too! AHHH! LOL
Living or dead?
Dead would be Jimmy, hands down for me....
Living...that's tough....Garrity is SO FUNNY, but Franco is so...cool! lol but i like Mike too....And Kenny has some funny comments....
I Loved when Jesus was trying to un-nail himself from the cross in Tommy's bed! LOL the look on tommy's face was priceless.....
Hey, you guys think we should start a thread on the OT board, that way we're not cluttering up this thread? Just a question....

---E/O shipper 4 life---

#11 stablersfan

stablersfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

uhm, yea hsounds good. i'll go over and start one now.

(House M.D.)

(Rescue Me)

#12 EO36

EO36

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

Are u glad Cassidy left i am.

#13 BensonFanatic

BensonFanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Are u glad Cassidy left i am.

absolutly not! lol i mean, yeah, when he was on he was all young and immature, but i think it'd be SO COOL if he came back, 'all grown up' and stuff. I think he'd be able to handle things a heck of a lot better than he was before. I mean, lets face it, he was pretty young for svu when he was there, and i also think i'd be cool to see how Benson acted to his return. But no, i really liked Cassidy and wish that he'd come back.

---E/O shipper 4 life---

#14 stablersfan

stablersfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

staight up dido

(House M.D.)

(Rescue Me)

#15 elliotfan

elliotfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

absolutly not! lol i mean, yeah, when he was on he was all young and immature, but i think it'd be SO COOL if he came back, 'all grown up' and stuff. I think he'd be able to handle things a heck of a lot better than he was before. I mean, lets face it, he was pretty young for svu when he was there, and i also think i'd be cool to see how Benson acted to his return. But no, i really liked Cassidy and wish that he'd come back.

i think that'd be cool so many times they've had to go talk to narcotics, and i've always why couldn't it be cassidy
]

bobby:she got me good ......... alex: then let's get her back
huang: do you ever gamble elliot? .......... elliot: only with birth control
dobby: socks is my favorite clothes sir!

#16 BLUBASKETBALLDOG

BLUBASKETBALLDOG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

It was season 1 episode 13 when cragen pulled him into his office. and as said he left because special victims unit proved to be too much for him. he kinda hinted to it in one of the episodes to either olivia or stabler not sure which one.

#17 Mary82

Mary82

Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

To be quite honest, Dean Winters (Detective Cassidy) isn't a very good actor. In season 1 he was horrible. I was actually pretty glade that the show made the decision to let him go. Even when he guest started this season I still didn't see his acting ability improve. I'm not sure if his acting was entirly the reason why he didn't remain on the show but I think it may have had something to do with it. He just didn't click well with the rest of the cast. I think that's why Michelle Hurd) Detective Monique Jefferies was kicked off in season 2. When Ice-T took her place, the cast seemed to click and the show seemed to be running a lot more smoothly.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"The power to learn is present in everyone's soul
and the instrument with which each learns is like an eye
that cannot be turned around from darkness to light
without turning the whole body." ~Plato

#18 Hisgirlforevermore

Hisgirlforevermore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Some corrections.
Dean Winters does just fine as an actor. The problem is rather that Detecive Cassidy is such a wimpy character.
But he wasn't let go from SVU. He was never a series regular but always a guest star. Like Christopher Meloni and BD Wong, he was also appearing in OZ while on SVU. But unlike them, on OZ Ryan Reilly was a major character and couldn't easily be written around. He finished Cassidy's story arc on SVU and went to OZ.
As to Michelle Hurd, she was listed as a guest star until episode 14 of Season 1 when the credits changed to include her. It wasn't a problem of her not clicking with the rest of the cast. Dick Wolf apparently told her that her character was going to be developed to the level of the other series regulars. She didn't think that was happening so she asked to leave. I wonder how much of a role Neal Baer coming on as a new producer played in her decision with his stated intent to use SVU to make Mariska into a star. That wouldn't have left much room for the other female detective to build her character up.

#19 Mary82

Mary82

Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm not going by facts from behind the scenes but simply my opinions. I never felt that either characters brought the show together. After both left, the comradery amongst the detectives seemed a lot more interesting and more entertaining. Again this is just my opinion. Though season one was pretty good, I think the writing had more to do with that. Jeffries and Cassidey were just not my favorite characters

Edited by Mary82, 19 March 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Mary82

Mary82

Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I guess he only went on a long hiatus. Him and Olivia together...bad choice on the writers part. They do not look good together. What on Earth were the writers thinking. Oh wait...they weren't. He should stick to commercials...

Edited by Mary82, 21 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved