• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dlb

dlb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:29 AM

How many of you tried calling and asking for songs by the singers who have been on Nashville Star?

The only person they ever played was Buddy and that wasnít all that much.

I called them at least 100 times only to be told things like we donít know who that is or oh that is a great song but we do not play it.

I think someone who is with the show needs to do a better job of promoting these fine artist or stop pretending like they have a chance to do much on the national level. It is not fair to them or us the fan who spends their money or would spend their money if there was something(A CD TO SPEND IT ON).

AS MY DADDY ALWAYS SAID CRAP OR GET OFF OF THE POT.

#2 dragonwolf90

dragonwolf90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

How many of you tried calling and asking for songs by the singers who have been on Nashville Star?

The only person they ever played was Buddy and that wasnít all that much.

I called them at least 100 times only to be told things like we donít know who that is or oh that is a great song but we do not play it.

I think someone who is with the show needs to do a better job of promoting these fine artist or stop pretending like they have a chance to do much on the national level. It is not fair to them or us the fan who spends their money or would spend their money if there was something(A CD TO SPEND IT ON).

AS MY DADDY ALWAYS SAID CRAP OR GET OFF OF THE POT.

Well I've called sirius New country and they've played Chris Young's songs for me.I heard twice EJ's song on there then nothing more. They play Buddy , a couple times aweek. Lucky me I guess.

#3 LetsTailG8

LetsTailG8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:37 AM

We've beaten this subject to a pulp on the board numerous times. It's not Nashville Star's job to promote the winner once the show is done, it's the job of the record label. Of course working with radio is what record labels do on a daily basis, but there is a clear bias against Nashville Star at most country radio stations across the US. The Wolf in Dallas is the largest country radio station in the largest country market in the US refused to play Buddy Jewell's songs even when they reached the Top 10. A few spins from the Wolf and Buddy Jewell would have had a #1 single.

One of the biggest problems in our microwave society today is the demand for instant gratification. One of the biggest problems with Nashville Star is American Idol, their 37 million regular viewers and the likes of Carrie Underwood. Combine those factors and Nashville Star gets an undeserved perception that contestants underacheive.

Country listeners are slower to accept a new act than in Pop music, so when Carrie Underwood comes along with her Pop music buyers in tow, it make Nashville Star look pretty bad. Just be patient and Miranda Lambert, Chris Young and David St Romain will change that perception.
That's my opinion and it oughtta be yours!

#4 highland_4

highland_4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

We've beaten this subject to a pulp on the board numerous times. It's not Nashville Star's job to promote the winner once the show is done, it's the job of the record label. Of course working with radio is what record labels do on a daily basis, but there is a clear bias against Nashville Star at most country radio stations across the US. The Wolf in Dallas is the largest country radio station in the largest country market in the US refused to play Buddy Jewell's songs even when they reached the Top 10. A few spins from the Wolf and Buddy Jewell would have had a #1 single.

One of the biggest problems in our microwave society today is the demand for instant gratification. One of the biggest problems with Nashville Star is American Idol, their 37 million regular viewers and the likes of Carrie Underwood. Combine those factors and Nashville Star gets an undeserved perception that contestants underacheive.

Country listeners are slower to accept a new act than in Pop music, so when Carrie Underwood comes along with her Pop music buyers in tow, it make Nashville Star look pretty bad. Just be patient and Miranda Lambert, Chris Young and David St Romain will change that perception.

I don't disagree with you about any of what you said tailg8, but how do we explain the instant "acceptance" of Jason Michael Carroll as compared to Chris Young? Was it just the song that hit a "chord" with the radio people that got it played? How about Taylor Swift...was it "Tim McGraw". It will be interesting to me to see if the new single of hers, "Teardrops on my Guitar," does as well (I think it is a better song and will match her demographic audience perfectly). BTW, she should go over 10 million total plays today on her myspace. If you read her comments you will see that is 95% very young people. that doesn't sound like the typical Country Music station's target demographic, so why so many spins?

I'm just sayin'... Chris Young...great talent, great song, great looking young guy, the perfect fit for the target demographic(IMHO), but get's a lot less plays than JMC or Taylor Swift. What's up with that?

#5 djbee

djbee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

No order from the "mothership" to play Chris? or the other NS winners or contestants?

(referring to the powers that be at Clear Channel)

You can call these pre programed stations all you want...and they won't play one of the NS's singles. Your best chance is with an independent station.

But , really, something has to be done by the label to get the Clear Channels of the business to give the NS contestants some play. I'm not so sure the labels solidly push the NS winners. Miranda had lots more development time and push than some of the others. Getting her on TV with a pyrotechnic display helped. (and touring with name artists)

Edited by djbee, 01 March 2007 - 11:20 AM.

#6 LetsTailG8

LetsTailG8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

I don't disagree with you about any of what you said tailg8, but how do we explain the instant "acceptance" of Jason Michael Carroll as compared to Chris Young? Was it just the song that hit a "chord" with the radio people that got it played? How about Taylor Swift...was it "Tim McGraw". It will be interesting to me to see if the new single of hers, "Teardrops on my Guitar," does as well (I think it is a better song and will match her demographic audience perfectly). BTW, she should go over 10 million total plays today on her myspace. If you read her comments you will see that is 95% very young people. that doesn't sound like the typical Country Music station's target demographic, so why so many spins?

I'm just sayin'... Chris Young...great talent, great song, great looking young guy, the perfect fit for the target demographic(IMHO), but get's a lot less plays than JMC or Taylor Swift. What's up with that?

Did you miss this point?

Of course working with radio is what record labels do on a daily basis, but there is a clear bias against Nashville Star at most country radio stations across the US.

Nashville Star can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

#7 Starter

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

Then it right back in the hands of NS. Its up to them to resolve whatever resistance created by the bias, thus allowing the label to do their job. Bottom line - the label will survive without NS. NS will not survive without a label.

Edited by Starter, 01 March 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#8 highland_4

highland_4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

Did you miss this point?

Of course working with radio is what record labels do on a daily basis, but there is a clear bias against Nashville Star at most country radio stations across the US.

Nashville Star can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

I didn't miss it. I just can't believe it is true. It's not a bias against NS, it is a big "yawn", if anything(IMHO). Which is more to your point about comparing NS and AI audiences. But, to say a radio station won't play Chris Young because he was on Nashville Star is not believable, to me. No offense to you intended, Glenn. :)

Edited to say: Upon further review, and new info, I may find this to be believable. :D

Edited by Highlander, 01 March 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#9 LetsTailG8

LetsTailG8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:43 PM

I didn't miss it. I just can't believe it is true. It's not a bias against NS, it is a big "yawn", if anything(IMHO). Which is more to your point about comparing NS and AI audiences. But, to say a radio station won't play Chris Young because he was on Nashville Star is not believable, to me. No offense to you intended, Glenn. :)

Edited to say: Upon further review, and new info, I may find this to be believable. :D

Believe it...it absolutely exists. When I talk to radio stations about Nashville Star, I don't get met with just arrogance and indifference, I somtimes get hit with outright anger and even ridicule. Too many stations would rather blab on endlessly about AI (see Gerry House-WSIX-Nashville for reference) than to embrace Nashville Star.

Julie Stevens the Program Director at KRTY in San Jose, CA came very close to demanding payola just to interview David. And they are supposed to be a CMA member station.

#10 abraman1326

abraman1326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

My presonal opinion (not like anyone cares) is that the NS winners just aren't getting the label support they should. I am very excited about hearing CY doing a radio tour and doing things right w/ this 2nd single. I hope it really helps. I bought the album when it came out and enjoy each and every song on it, and I haven't found an album like that since Tim McGraw's Everywhere came out. But even if you look at AI, their winners don't get all the support they should either. Where is Fantasia, Rubbin, and other lesser known winners? I thought Buddy Jewel was incredible, and really hope he comes out w/ another album. Maybe it's a conspiracy against reality series winners...
BRA

#11 Cliffwalker

Cliffwalker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Here's a post I did in another thread, on the topic of radio airplay for NS winners, and why most have not received much.

mc

OK folks, here's the way radio works, for those who aren't aware. First, the selection of which songs are added to a station's playlist and put into regular rotation is made by the station's Program Director or their Music Director (PD/MD), NOT by the DJ... this is why calling a DJ requesting song doesn't usually buy you a whole lot, except 1) when that song has been added to the rotation already and 2) the DJ just also happens to be the PD/MD.

Now, why do some singles do well and some don't? Why didn't DML do well? Very easy answer, it all comes down to promotion. The PD/MD at a typical radio station is super-busy, they are underpaid and usually have like 5 or 6 jobs they have to do at the station... DJ, PD, MD, voiceover guy, etc etc. They receive literally THOUSANDS of songs every month from a variety of sources. So how do they decide what to play? What would you do if you were in their shoes? Would you stay up 24x7 and listen to EVERY song that came in, then decide which is best? Or would you listen to the songs that have a promoter calling you and emailing you and faxing you every damng day, asking you to listen to?

The answer is you'd listen to the promoter songs. These PD/MDs have "office hours" where they have to take music calls from promoters. Each promoter typically has a number of songs they are promoting at any given time. The conversation goes like "So did you have a chance to listen to the new Alan Jackson single? What did you think? Do you think we can get it added this week? We can, oh great! OK how about the new Martina single?" and so on. That's what radio promoters do, they spend every working hour calling PD/MDs and bugging them, basically.

So this is one key element to a successful radio single, having a good group of qualified promoters calling all of the key stations, over a period of time, bugging them to play the single. The feedback I've heard in the industry is that DML did not have enough "feet on the street" in this regard. There are alot of different key stations, you need promoters who have good relationships with them, and there's a HUGE difference between having a promoter call who knows the PD/MD vs. one who doesn't.

The other key element is the radio tour and the artist's role. In general you want the artist visiting the key stations in the month or so leading up to the single's release. Not necessarily for every single the artist releases, but CERTAINLY the first single... even established artists do radio tours when they release the first single off a new album. Well, this never happened on DML. Chris was doing the NS Tour, and I don't know the whole story as to why a radio tour wasn't done, but like the promoters themselves, the radio tours cost $$. And this is what usually separates a successful single from one that bombs, how much $$ is put behind it... of course the song has to be commercial to begin with, but I've seen crappy songs fly up the chart because of alot of $$ in the radio promo budget, and I've watched great songs like DML languish. That's just how it is.

mc

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved