• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 curlydoglover

curlydoglover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

I have 1 Curly-Coated Retriever, but I also co-own 3 Pekingese, father, mother, and daughter. They live with my best friend.
I show my Curly, and have actually been to Westminster with my first champion male Curly, Chance, whom I had to put down last Jan. due to canine melanoma. I hope to finish my current Curly girl, Belle, this year. I also do pet therapy with her, and did with both of my past Curlies, Chance and Shasta.

#62 parsonpatch

parsonpatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:46 AM

We have Briards, Parson Russell Terriers, Toy Manchester Terriers and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

#63 Pamelanoelle

Pamelanoelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

Yeah dogs are great companions and great protection too! It's been scientifically proven that having a pet will reduce your stress level...so they are good for your health too.
What kinda dog are you planning on getting??

#64 Pamelanoelle

Pamelanoelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:12 AM

Whoops! Something went amiss with my last reply. Sorry!

#65 Pamelanoelle

Pamelanoelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:20 AM

Can you tell I haven't checked this board in a while*lol* Well, due to some family medical issues last year I decided
to postpone getting my puppy until Fall 2007 :( I've been researching lines & breeders for the past 3 years.

The first breed I fell in-love with when I was 10 years old was the Borzoi. Since I grew-up with English Springer Spaniels, I've always wished there was a breed of dog that resembled a Borzoi; was about the size of a Springer;
with a personality in-between the typical sighthound and the velcro-dog of a Springer. This ideal dog also needed a managable prey-drive to live safely with indoor cats. Over 20 years later I discovered the dog of my dreams, the
Silken Windhound :wub:

Posted Image

The breed was created in the mid-1980s by Francie Stull of Austin, Texas. Francie had already bred over 200 AKC champion Borzoi. The official breed standard & breed club were created in 1999, and the stud book was closed in 2000. The breed will be eligible to apply for AKC's FSS in 3 years. In the meantime, they are shown in conformation shows along side other rare breeds at Rarities, IABCA, and National Canine Association venues. Silken Windhounds are also active in straight racing through various LGRA clubs. There are currently owners & breeders in over 20 U.S. states, plus: Canada, Finland, Sweden, The Netherlands, Germany, England, South Africa, Slovenia, Japan, The Bahamas,
and the United Arab Emirates.

#66 Pamelanoelle

Pamelanoelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

Still coming to grips with how to reply to different people. Sorry. I'm trying to reply to enchanted Gypsy about the silken windhound. Think I have the wrong message here.

#67 Pamelanoelle

Pamelanoelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:31 AM

In regard to the silken windhound, I have never heard of these before in Australia. They look quite attractive. Are they related to the saluki/borzoi?

#68 parsonpatch

parsonpatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:37 AM

Beautiful dog

#69 StandardPoodlesRule

StandardPoodlesRule

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

I am now on my 5th Standard Poodle since I have been an adult- and looking to add another to the one we have at home at the moment.

And THEY ARE NOT FROO FROO Dogs. Tell that to the one that tackles my 6' son and his friends when they are playing football- and he steals the ball and runs for a TD! They only get Froo Froo for the ring- as my puppy will be!

They have been a joy- because they are just so- smart and intelligent- it gets scary at times. Sometimes I think he is smarter than my son!

#70 AJR1959

AJR1959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

I am owned by two flat coated retrievers. I just adore their happy outlook on life, their utter talent for being able to make me laugh, and for their awesome personalities. Karat is nearly 4 years old and Koa is just 6 months old.

#71 gwillis

gwillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:24 PM

I have a Harrier, which is a smaller version of the English Foxhound; six years old.

#72 requestaword

requestaword

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

My boy is a 5 year old (red) Shiba Inu. Until I visited a local dog show I didn't even know what that was! I went to the show to look at the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (one of the online quizzes you take suggested one would be ideal for me). Once I got to the ring and saw how large they were -- I didn't think so. My background is in German Shepherds (owned 2 from birth to death) but I didn't want another one (to painful). Anyway as I walked around the show circles I noticed these little red bundles of fur that looked like foxes -- the Shiba Inus. I spoke to a couple of spectators about them and then to a breeder. All in all it took me 2 years before I finally obtained one (from Montana) and I've been happy ever since. He's so totally different from my shepherds, aloof one minute (like I don't exist) and up under me the next minute. I watch all types of dog shows and get a little miffed that his breed is almost a footnote -- but then I realize he's my little secret and I'm happy he's my Best In Show.

#73 Jaman

Jaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

New here, and I've fallen in love with a breed that is extremely underrepresented: The Kuvasz. These are gorgeous, intelligent and absolutely fabulous dogs all the way around. They are misunderstood by many, and so rare that up until I fell in love with my pound puppy, I'd never heard of them. There isn't a lot of information on them, and what information there is seems hell bent on keeping people from wanting these wonderful dogs.

They are flock guardian dogs that were almost completely wiped out by Hitler's armies as they rampaged through Hungaria. The dogs were shot on sight because of their fierce protective nature. At the end of the war, there were only six known breeding pairs left. These are the dogs that gave rise to the Great Pyr. My dog is a Kuvasz mix. He shows all the characteristics of the breed except for his color. His coat, his temperment, his intelligence and instict to guard his "flock" are all there. I've already decided that when I can afford to get another dog, it will also be a Kuvasz, and most likely it will be a rescue dog, as I have neither the means or the knowledge to breed and/or show them.

I was heartbroken as I eagerly checked the 2009 best in breed videos to see one dog represent the entire Kuvaszok breed. It appears despite efforts on the part of the few who love this breed, it will die out. I don't have any uploadable pictures of my gorgeous mutt to share, I will remedy that as soon as possible, and start touting the good qualities of his ancestors far and wide. Maybe my one voice will be heard...

Oh, and before my Skylar, I didn't like dogs at all. I was a cat person all the way!

Edited by Jaman, 11 February 2009 - 06:55 AM.

#74 jbmouse

jbmouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

We have a Tibby ! :D
Her name is Tribble & she is 8yrs.
Great little fuzz ball ! :D

#75 DramaQueenBroadway

DramaQueenBroadway

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:32 AM

I have a Pekingese and I've owned three of them (two have passed on...but when one of them did, I got the Peke that I have now....I've had her for about seven years now). I actually had to do a report for my first college degree (I'm going for my Bachelor's now) on Pekingeses vs Basset Hounds. My cousins own a Basset Hound so I got to use both of our dogs for inspiration. One thing that I find kind of rare about my dog is she's a white Pekingese!!!! All the other ones I've owned were either dark or light brown with black faces.
I also owned a Shih-tzu for a while. I had to give her up for adoption because she just wasn't fitting my family's lifestyle and wanted 100% attention that we couldn't give her. But yeah my family has always owned dogs (on my dad's side...mom was afraid of them before).

Shawn: I dazzle...I stretch...I dazzle and I stretch...
Shawn:Spell banana
Contestant:
Definition please?
Shawn:
A yellow fruit. Also a yellow pudding...a very delicious pudding.
Contestant:
Can you use it in a sentence please?
Shawn:Anna Banana would like to hear Venus by Bananarama....banana
Shawn-"don't be Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Marzipan"
Gus-"Azkaban"
Shawn-"I've heard it both ways!"
My name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner Gus "Silly Pants" Jackson
"Boom...boom boom...MUFFINS!!!!!"
"Boom...boom...boom THIS THING!!!!!"
"You don't call him Binky?"
"We do now!"
Shawn: Hello my name is Shawn Spencer and this is my partner M.C. Clap Your Handz
WARNING: DATES ON CALANDER ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR
"I love due dates. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"
DramaQueenBroadway: All of the Law...none of the Order!
Twitter: @DramaQueenDiva

Youtube: KAASL4

#76 TMPKennels

TMPKennels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

We have 4 Wirehaired Pointing Griffons and we love them...

#77 cabin_dweller

cabin_dweller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

We have 4 Wirehaired Pointing Griffons and we love them...

I was cruising Westminster stuff and came upon this forum, and then the link you posted to your kennel.
Absolutely beautiful! I am a real WPG fan. I have small indoor companion dogs now, but would like to get a WPG some day. I live on several acres and thought they would be a wonderful breed to have. I'd like to train them -- obedience, maybe agility. I'll keep your kennel bookmarked! Thanks for sharing.

#78 HoboStew

HoboStew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

I have Bedlington Terrier x2! They're absolute children. Just as whiny, just as nosy, and are not above throwing a tantrum every so often about who gets that spot in the sun, but they're also adorable dears...to humans and other dogs. Squirrels and cats are enemies, but birds are to be killed on sight.

#79 Ace101

Ace101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Guess????
A Poker Playing Dog!!!!!!

My best buddy and I spent Friday night doing a little gambling!!! For those having trouble differentiating: I am wearing a white t-shirt! And my buddy is the white bull with a royal flush!!!! (he didn't know I peeked at his cards)

He was up $175.00 when he departed last night around 1am. I was wondering what he did with his winnings but I put two-and-two together when I stepped outside the front door this morning and saw a pink dog collar laying on the ground next to the porch!!!!! (couldn't he wait at least until he brought her in the house?)

I keep telling him he needs to settle down and start a family!

And those other guys, our poker buddies? Just look at them, drinking beer and smoking cigars!!!! Im beginning to think they are all just a bad influence

Posted Image

#80 gwillis

gwillis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

Harrier

FREE ONLINE GAMES TERMS OF SERVICE PRIVACY POLICY FEEDBACK ©2013 NBC Universal, Inc. All Rights Reserved